Replacement (or fix) for Denon AVR-2312

Quizzical

Novice Member
Hi, my Denon is making a clicking noise and the sounds cuts out. It’s returns after a while (no set timeframe). I had a search online and saw a thread which said you can lift the front end he and drop it, the bang seems to make something click and it works again for awhile.

So if anyone has a perm at fix for it that’d be welcome. (I was thinking try connecting to the TV via optical cable - but not sure if it’s a HDMI issue, and I don’t have an optical cable so would have to buy).

If not, time to replace.
  • Usage: mostly movies and TV shows, <5% music. I don’t play things super loud, so the speakers won’t be at their limit generally.
  • Speakers: some old Kef iQ1s (looking to upgrade to a pair of Kef Q350s with a Q250c centre and a BK Elec sub - likely a Gemini)
  • TV: LG OLED B8 via HDMI ARC (so 4K capability required)
  • Devices: Apple TV, MacBook Pro both connected via HDMI.
I don’t mind another Denon, but also had my eye on some Yamaha models.

The Q350s that I eventually want state:
  • AMPLIFIER REQUIREMENTS: 15-120W
  • NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 Ohms (min.3.7 Ohms)
Lower budget models

Higher budget models

My current AVR-2312 does 105 watts @8 ohms. Should I be looking at even more powerful amps? (The RX-V4A in particular looks weak?). I have read that more power = easier to drive = good. But reiterate I won’t be blasting the speakers with music, sometimes a little louder when I’m watching a film. Or are any of the ones I’ve shortlisted acceptable?

wiz

Distinguished Member
Try dropping it from the third floor next time :eek:

Quizzical

Novice Member
Try dropping it from the third floor next time :eek:
:D Oh I don’t do that regularly. Tried it and it worked. But clearly not a permanent solution. Might help narrow the actual problem for those in the know.

Here was the thread I found: Denon AVR3312ci issue/clicking and losing center sound

It’s 10 years old so I imagine it’s close to the end of its life regardless. So I don’t mind picking up a replacement.

Peter Tyson seem to do decent bundles so it’s also an excuse to do the speakers at the same time. :laugh:

Any input on the amps I’ve shortlisted?

gibbsy

If you take the 2312 to a repairer then you are going to have to weigh up the cost of any repair against putting that money towards a new unit. If you're brave enough then take the top off the unit and have a look for any discolouration or heat marks on the inside. It could be as simple as a bit of solder cracking, an easy enough fix as long as you know what you're looking for.

If you went for a replacement then that would come in the shape of the X2700. Same limitations are the 2312 with just being a seven channel amp although you then have the possibility of an Atmos speaker layout in 5.1.2.

gibbsy

Awesome, thanks @gibbsy.

Will message the usual online retailers and see if they can do me a deal on an X2700, 2 Q350s and a Q250c.
KEF and Denon do make good partnerships. That's what I'm running.

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom