1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement options.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Nick, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Nick

Nick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Following a flood at home, my DSP-A2, DVD and Cyrus amps have been ruined. I was running two systems with a Canton 2.22 setup and Panny 6 for AV and Mission 753s for hi-fi use in an adjoining room.
    I would now like to combine the two systems and am considering the following options and use one receiver. The system has to be relatively easy to use and aesthetically pleasing for the good lady. I am considering the following so far:

1. Yamaha RX-V2500 + the new DVD-S2500.

2. Arcam AVR300 + DV79 DVD.

3. Harman-Kardon AVR 7300 and DVD 31.

I like the prospect of the line doubling on the HK unit although I understand that all three would allow me to use the component video that is hardwired into the wall for all connections and abandon the Scart that I was using for television input (a bad false economy made at Plasma purchase time).

Any input gratefully received and other suggestions welcomed. Budget of about £2,500.

2. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    From what I've read (not heard, note) I'd say the Arcam setup will best suit your needs as both components are better with music than your other examples. However, as always, you are best off auditioning all three combinations to see which you prefer the sound of, especially since you're spending so much money.... lucky bu**er!!

3. Nick

Nick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply Sunil. The Arcam was my gut feel originally as well, especially due to the audio quality. The only thing that has got me thinking is the picture quality side of things.

I really do not want to rip apart the walls again and the benefit of the image processing / line doubling with the AVR 7300 sounds very tempting and also has the benefit of the auto setup which I believe the Arcam lacks, albeit at the expense of an element of the audio quality.

My PAnny 6 also does not have HDMI therefore am I not wasting a really good DVD player??

4. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    What you say regarding the HK receiver is true, however, pairing it up with an average dvd player such as the DVD 31 would serve it a great injustice. IMO the Arcam as a pair would still outperform the HK pairing visually too. You may want to look at matching the Arcam DV79 with the HK receiver if picture is of utmost importance in your system.
    Also, HK's auto setup is not generally regarded as brilliant as they have only just began implementing the system. A borrowed sound meter, or a professional installer will get a much better sound and you only do it once no?? It shouldn't be a major deciding factor.
    Also the picture from the Arcam is supposed to be brilliant through component too but if you don't want to spend as much, try the DV78. It'll still sound sonically superior to the HK but will be cheaper than the 79. The only thing is, buying the 79 will mean you won't have to upgrade for a (slightly!) longer while.
    BTW if you think I'm blowing the Arcam horn too much, I'm actually a Yamaha fan!

5. Nick

Nick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really good food for thought that cheers.

Auto-setup - could not agree more - the room is not going to change as it is all hardwired in - will get it set up properly.

I am now thinking about the Arcam pairing again. I guess my only sacrifice is the picture quality from NTL which I think I can route into the AVR and output still through component on the AVR300 to the plasma. This would still help as it removes the need for the scart board to be used? I hope my limited understanding is right - the only output from NTL is Scart....

6. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    If NTL boxes spec the same stingy connections as Sky Digital then you're probably right. Very hard to get a good picture from Sky or NTL without spending more money on further upgrades.