1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement needed for Pro-logic decoder

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by David, May 5, 2005.

1. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Mordaunt Short Decoder One pro-logic decoder/amp which drives centre and two rear speakers. It feeds a signal to my wonderful A&R A60 main hi-fi amp and on to a sterio pair of Celef Monitors. I'm very happy with the hi-fi arrangement but the decoder sounds like its on the blink.

I realise that Home Cinema sound has come a long way since I bought this lot but I want a replacement that integrates in a similar way with my A&R amp and Celef speakers. Does anyone have any suggestions for something suitable?

Thanks in advance
    David

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    Moved to integrated's :smoke:

3. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone?

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    What sort of budget have you got? The best choises at a guess would be Nad or Arcam.

5. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not really even sure what would be a sensible amount to spend. I think we can probably assume a quality budget amp/processor as it wouldn't be used every day. When you say NAD or ARCAM, do you have any specific models in mind? If so what do they do - are they pro-logic replacements, am I going to need more than 5 speakers in total (may be a problem)? Will all the channels be independent (unlike my Mordaunt Short which had a lower-fi rear channel sent equally to both rear speakers).

Thanks again.

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    No, its just that both Nad and Arcam have settings to set up there av amps with stereo amps and have 12 volt triggers so you can turn the av amp on nad it would wake the stereo amp up at the same time.

The are full av recievers that are capable of putting out all the :dd: and :dts: modes that are available now. They can also drive up to seven speakers and a sub. You only need 5 speakers and a sub and thats all. The other 2 speakers are optional.

Yes they will be independant depending upon the decoding method used.
    The budget you would need for this is about £800 - £1000+. Alternatively you could check out Marantz new range the sr /55007500/8500

Hope this helps :smashin: