Replacement motor for Othelloline Copernico 4 Format Screen

Ronski

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've recently purchased an In ceiling Othelloline Copernico 4 Format Screen where the masking screen didn't work.

I'm hoping to be able to repair this, the motor for the masking screen appears to be seized. We have stripped the motor out, checked the limit micro switches and they are OK.

We have wired the motor to 240v via a 2 way momentary switch, this allows us to power the motor in both directions, all we get is just a clonk and a little bit of vibration. We get the same result when it's wired to the screens controller board.

We have stripped the motor down, removing the limit switch section, also the gearbox, but have been unable to remove the actual motor from the tube - it may be glued in. Can anyone confirm this?

The motor is made by Almot (an Italian manufacture), model number is HES101, it also has XBIHES101 on the label, but Googling both of these doesn't return any results.

I'm going to email the motor manufacture, screen manufacture and the UK distributor, hopefully I'll get somewhere.

If anybody has any information or advice could you please let me know. We also need to know how to set up the limit sensors.

Motor label.

P1010589_zps111d6355.jpg

P1010590_zps21a44db0.jpg

Dismantled motor - I forgot to take a picture of the whole thing, it has some large rubber sections each end which wedge into the screen tube.

P1010591_zps436d5877.jpg

Limit switches - anybody know the correct way to adjust these should I get it working?

P1010592_zpsa49ccf56.jpg

Just to update this thread, I have so far successfully repaired the motor, see here for further details.

The screen manufacturer (Screenline) did respond to my emails, but they changed to Somfy motors in 2010 and no longer have any Almot motors. Also it is not straightforward to change to Somfy motors, from what I understand the screen tube needs to be shortened slightly to allow the Somfy motors to fit. I can only guess that the end section of the motor housing is deeper.

Neither Almot or the UK Importer Impact Screen Solutions responded to my emails.

I've now stripped down the other motor because that was really noisy as well. See here for pictures and details. I should think these screens fail pretty often due to the poor bearing design, so no doubt others may find this info useful.

Hi Ronski, I had a similar problem with mine. The masking motor failed after about two years.

I ended up shipping it back to Italy to have it rebuilt with the new Somfy motors and controller. It's been perfect in the 18 months or so since I had it done. It was a pain in the backside and left a bit of a bad taste in the mouth, these screens are not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. I had to build my own shipping container to get it shipped in!

Anyway, the service from Screenline was good and they retensioned and flattened the screen while they had it. It's been as good as gold since, the Somfy motors are much quieter and smoother.

The importer did advise me that the limit settings needed to be set at the factory FWIW.

Best of luck with it!

The motors are a bit noisy, if they go again I'll look at changing to Somfy motors but hopefully they'll be fine.If it had been a straightforward swap, then depending on cost I probably would of gone for Somfy motors this time round.

I'm pretty sure we've got the limit switches sussed, I did actually adjust the masking screen and move the main screen up slightly prior to stripping the main screen motor down. Only thing I hadn't done was test it with the controller - I was using a manual switch. The controller is totally unaware of what the limit switches are doing, so it should be fine.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom