1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement lamp prices

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by The Hemulen, Oct 27, 2003.

1. The Hemulen

The Hemulen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Are PJ lamps really as expensive to produce as the retail prices suggest or is it more a case of making slim profits on the PJ and make the money on replacement lamps instead. A tactic taken to extremes these days by ink jet printer manufacturers and their cartridges.

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    It's a bitter pill to swallow I know , especially as projector prices seem to fall by the day yet lamp prices remain stubbornly high by comparison, but the answer is yes - they are expensive to produce.

I'm not going to get drawn into a massive debate about justifying lamp prices, so put away your fishing rods right now :nono: Like many of you I have a projector at home and it costs me just as much to run it as for you guys (well, almost ;) ) What I will say is there is a lot more to projector lamps than you imagine. Read more here

Philips is already pushing the boundaries with its 6000 hr UHP lamps for home cinema projectors. You'll find it in our projectors and some of the Sim2 models. The lamp costs about the same as a regular 2000 hr lamp yet lasts up to 3 times longer with very little drop in brightness. This lamp life is acheived without the need for Eco or Low Power mode on the projector.

There's another way to look at this. There are only 4 major lamp manufacturers competing in the world - the two biggest are Philips (#1) and Osram (#2). If it were possible to steal a big chunk of the market by selling a lamp much cheaper than the competition don't you think one of the manufacturers would have done it?

Regards