• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Replacement lamp arrived with the bulb loose: advice appreciated

Bert Coules

I've just taken delivery of an original replacement lamp for my JVC DLA-X700R: I bought it from Jaspertronics in the USA, as mentioned by several members here: their price was very reasonable and it seemed to be worth any possible risk.

Unfortunately, the bulb is not fixed in place: it's been free to fall about in transit. I can't see any obvious damage and the connections are still firmly made, but I'm a little dubious and refixing it myself: there are four spring clips but a tentative go suggests that quite a strong effort is necessary to get the bulb firmly behind them. Also, the bulb has two sides with cutouts and two plain; I'm not sure of the correct orientation.

If anyone has done this, maybe buying a bare bulb to go into an old housing, I'd be grateful to know if the fixing method was similar.

I've emailed Jaspertronics but I'd be interested in any thoughts here.

Picture attached.

Projector bulb 1.jpg

Many thanks.

Attachments

• Projector bulb 2.jpg
    Projector bulb 2.jpg
    470.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Projector lamp 1.jpg
    Projector lamp 1.jpg
    506.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Bert Coules

I've just found this on YouTube: it's not the same bulb but it does appear to be the same housing. It seems that the spring clip assemblies have to be unscrewed and removed, fitted over the loose bulb, and then the combined unit reattached. Which rather makes me wonder how the bulb could possibly have come loose all by itself...

Last edited:

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
Hi Bert,

Sorry you're having this issue and hope you can refix the lamp - can you unscrew and refix it relatively easily?

I seem to remember reading that the flap is there for air flow purposes, and the reason it is movable is because it will fall to the best position depending on whether or not the pj is ceiling or table/shelf mounted, so if the lamp is inverted the flap falls to a different position for better air flow - I guess because hot air rises and it's something to do with that - the hot air circulates differently when inverted compared to 'right way up'.

Bert Coules

Peter, thanks for that. Checking around online I've now found several pictures of the lamp which show the flap in place, so yes, it's obviously meant to be there. The orientation thing hadn't occured to me because I thought the aperture was at the foot of the housing, in which case the flap wouldn't move whichever way up it was: if it's actually to the side then it would.

I can unscrew the clips easily enough I think. I'm just slightly concerned that some damage might have been caused by the bulb flopping about, though there's actually nothing visibly wrong.

Fitting the whole assembly is going to involve some gymnastics: the projector is in a ceiling lift and only (just) accessible from the inside the loft. So I really don't want to go through it and then discover that something's not right.

Last edited:

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
I wondered the same thing about the flap, but I think the info I read was from a JVC source so seemed reliable, but if the flap remains centred regarless of the PJ location, I can't see the difference it makes either.

Can you contact the seller and see what they have to say about the lamp being loose? As you say, you don't want to go to all that hassle only to find it doesn't work.

Bert Coules

I emailed them just before posting here. Other people's experience seems to be that they're decent enough to deal with, so I'm hoping for a helpful reply.

LATER:

They just emailed. If I don't want to reattach the bulb myself - they say "They do not need a lot of force but also no need to be overly gentle" - they will send a free return label. But the offer is not of a replacement: "We will... take care of it in house, pretest and send it back to you".

I have two problems with the second approach: firstly, the loose bulb will by then have flapped around in the housing for two trips rather than just one, presumably increasing the chance of damage; and I've already been stung once by the Customs for £26 import duty and I really don't want to have to pay that again.

Also slightly worrying is that they said I should: "use safety gloves (careful not to touch the bulb with your bare hands)". I'm afraid it's a bit late for that. Am I really likely to have caused some damage of my own?

Last edited:

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
With halogen lamps, they used to say that touching the lamp could leave a thin film of 'oil' from your skin which could cause a hot spot on the lamp during operation and cause premature failure there. I guess if you tell them that when you send it back, so they will clean it before powering it up.

There must be a way of sending something back and not getting stung for customs a second time - you've paid the duty so they have their money. Perhaps if you can speak to customs and see how you can ensure that doesn't happen. I've seen it happen to people in the past and they have managed to get the second duty charges refunded, but it was a bit of a hassle IIRC.

Bert Coules

Thanks. I'm leaning towards refixing it myself: I can wipe over the outside with a degreasant if that's necessary, and I don't think the chances of reasoning Customs out of a second payment are terribly high. Jaspertronics did say that if I fit the bulb and there are any problems then they would replace it, but I imagine that only applies to immediately obvious faults, not longer-term ones.

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
I think I'd be inclined to have a go myself too, and then have a bit of a movie marathon to see if there are any obvious lamp issues.

Bert Coules

They just emailed again suggesting I wear latex gloves and wipe over the bulb with "rubbing alcohol" which a Google search suggests is American for surgical spirit. I'll give it a go this afternoon and see what happens: thanks for your thoughts.

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
Their customer support seems pretty good which is kinda reassuring too.

I think I might be inclined to have a swig of some real alcohol before applying the rubbing kind and trying to fix the thing :)

Let us know how you get on.

Bert Coules

Yes, I'm impressed. A cup of tea is more my thing than alcohol, rubbing or otherwise, but I'll be sure to have a good refreshing one before I set to work. I'll report back.

Member 518284

Distinguished Member
i’d send it back Bert tbh

it’s not an original lamp and housing by the sounds of it, how much has it cost in total if you don’t mind me asking

Allan

Bert Coules

Well the bulb is now degreased and firmly fixed in place. Considering that I had completely to remove two of the four spring clip assemblies and even then it took a fair bit of both fiddling and force to get it in position, I really can't fathom how it could have simply come loose, however heavy a thump the package might have received (and there's no sign that it received even the lightest tap). But I suppose it must have.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to try it in the projector until next Tuesday. I'll post the result then. Wish me luck.

Last edited:

Bert Coules

Allan,

Thanks for your thoughts. The lamp is certainly marketed as original: here's the Jaspertronics listing. The price including delivery was $110.94 (say £85) and I had to pay a tad over £26 import duty. Call it £111 in all. That compared favourably with the UK suppliers I looked at, and other forums members reported good service, so I decided to risk buying from overseas.

LATER:

Reading the Jaspertronics description again, it does occur to me that (depending on exactly how you read it) it could be that only the bulb (for which they use the term "lamp" throughout their site) is an original, the housing being from a different source. Is there any way to check? The housing is stamped PK-L2312U which is evidently the correct JVC code, but I suppose that's not really a watertight guarantee of authenticity, and there are stories online about alleged compatible housings not actually fitting into their projectors at all.

Last edited:

Bert Coules

It was in a plain card box inside a larger corrugated similar. Both have Jaspertronics stickers affixed. The outer box is stamped with what seems to be US manufacturing and recycling codes.

What does a JVC box look like?

Member 518284

Distinguished Member
i’m pretty certain Bert that your lamp/assembly is definitely not original especially given the price you paid including import duties.

I hope it doesn’t cause you issues further down the line once fitted so good luck and keep the thread update if you wouldn’t mind

Allan :smashin:

Bert Coules

Vila, no, my box doesn't look like that.
Allan, if you're correct, I'm saddened that what appears to be a reputable dealer - one which others here have used and praised, and whose customer service responses have been both swift and helpful - should be passing off goods as something they're not. But in the absence of any definitive way of identifying bulb, holder or both, how can I tell?
I shall indeed report back. Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and advice.

stevelup

Distinguished Member
They don't hide what they are doing really. Basically, they claim to be using whatever the original OEM lamp is, and fitting it in a housing. What that housing is, is anyones guess. It's either a replica, or a reused OEM housing.

Nowhere do they claim to be shipping complete OEM assemblies.

It's all explained here:-

FAQs & Useful Lamp Tips

John7

They just emailed again suggesting I wear latex gloves and wipe over the bulb with "rubbing alcohol" which a Google search suggests is American for surgical spirit. I'll give it a go this afternoon and see what happens: thanks for your thoughts.

DON’T use surgical spirit - it contains castor oil and will make the problem worse!

Rubbing alcohol is Isopropyl Alcohol/distilled water and will not leave an oily residue.

Bert Coules

John7. Thanks for the warning, though sadly it came a shade late. And I went out and bought the surgical spirit specially! Presumably a clean with the correct stuff will rectify my mistake, so I'll track some down. Damn, it's just occurred to me: to clean every side of the bulb I'll have to take it out of the housing again.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom