1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement Ipod

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by skymonkey, Sep 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. skymonkey

skymonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, My 4th Gen 20g ipod died after only 5 months(sad ipod icon, i think that means the hard drive?). I have been sent a brand new ipod as replacement. I just wondered how i set it up. Do i need to wipe itunes and ipod updater off my pc and start a fresh or can i just plug it straight into my PC? Also, i have about 3000 songs on my itunes. Is it OK to upload all of those in one go to an ipod? cheers

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    What you'll need to do is to run the iPod updater first when you plug in the iPod to the PC. It might prompt you, but run the updater anyway. Wait for the iPod to be recognised by the updater. Restore the iPod (have your AC adapter handy) and let the firmware update happen. Then plug it into the PC, wait a while for it to be recognised, and name the iPod when prompted. Don't do anything without naming the iPod first.

3. skymonkey

skymonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for the advice. So do i need to run the updater software first and then plug in the new ipod? Is it OK to upload that many songs in one go though?

4. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    When I had to do (the HDD failed after 3 months) this I plugged the Ipod in first. Itunes then told me that I needed to run the updater. I closed Itunes, ran the updater, started Itunes again and it registered the new unit and then downloaded all my music. No problem.

Except that the hold switch didn't work. So I got a second replacement and repeated the above. Except that the HDD died after 2 months. So I got my money back and bought the new Creative Zen Sleek.

5. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    skymonkey, the only issue is the heat build-up if you're worried about the longevity of the player... this is an issue on practically any HDD-based player when you're heavily using it for long periods. Li-Ion battery performance degrades as they get hotter, and during active, extended use (on AC/USB power) the hard disk can heat up to the extent that battery performance is affected. I've written this to be more serious than it appears to be, but this is the only potential demerit of sticking all your songs on the iPod in one go. If this bothers you, put the iPod back-down onto a heat dissipating surface (large aluminium sheet, etc).

davehk, Apple's HDD's are the same as most other peoples... Toshiba. It's also no better (or worse) protected than most other DAPs. If your use honestly resulted in multiple HDD failures on the iPod, then it will probably result in multiple HDD failures on any other machine.

6. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You think Toshiba HDDs are prone to failure? Try a Creative MuVo2 with a Hitachi drive - abysmal performance!