Replacement hard drive for Sny Vaio - where can I get one?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by egbb_2004, Nov 6, 2005.

1. egbb_2004

egbb_2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Hoping someone might be able to help with with the following problem, I have searched the forum but couldn't seem to find a definitive answer.

I currently have a Sony Vaio laptop model no. PCG-K115S. Every time that I boot it up, there is message on screen saying that there is S.M.A.R.T. Hard Disk Failure and that I have to replace it immediately.

Can anyone tell me what kind of hard drive I would need? On the specifications sheet that I have it says that it is a 60GB (Ultra ATA/100). Can I buy any old hard drive to put in there or does it have to be a specific size?

Thanks in advance for all your help and support.

Tom

2. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,241
    Any 60GB 2.5" ATA100 drive will do... you'll just need to keep the adapter/connector from the old drive and fit it to the new one...

i'm fairly sure you could fit a bigger capacity drive in there too if you wanted too.. maybe worth checking on their website that the bios will support bigger if you want to, but should be OK.

3. egbb_2004

egbb_2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi The Dude,

Thanks for your advice, have been looking on www.dabs.com for such a thing but can on;ly see Serial ATA-300 and Serial ATA, are these the same as ATA-100?

Thanks
    Tom

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A selection here .

:smoke: