1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement graphics card...

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by SimonO, Jan 27, 2005.

1. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    This is what I've got..?

AGP 4X Slot
    NVIDIA GeForce2 Ti
    Integrated RAMDAC
    64 MB

It's a Sony VAIO desktop and I'd like fan cooled, DVI out and not too expensive...

Any recommendations..?

2. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Not to blow my own trumpet but at the moment I've got a Sapphire 9600XT 128MB graphics card up for sale at ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5159600957

It's got DVI out - it's not too expensive...at the moment :) It may not be the fastest around but would be a definite improvement over a Geforce 2 Ti. Plus it uses heatpipe technology so it's silent. On the other hand you may want something faster :D

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,467
    Whereabouts are you, I see you're in N E Lincs, anywhere near Barton?

Cheers,
    Andy.

4. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    How does the heat pipe work..? The reason I wanted fan cooled is that in my PC, the card installs upside down (your card would have the Sapphire logo facing down in my PC)..? Would this card be compatible with a 4X AGP slot..?

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I use one of those, very nice cards and it'll work fine in a 4x .. it's the card I was going to suggest after reading just your initial post. :)

The heat pipe works by the evaporation of some fluid (no idea what it is) contained in the pipes. The fluid in the part of the pipe nearest the GPU gets hot and evaporates, circulation of the vapour and liquid in the pipes carries the vapour round to the other side of the card where there's a second heatsink where heat exchange cools the vapour turning it back into a liquid and the cycle is complete.

Unless you're pushing the card with heavy 3D use (maybe using VMR rendering though Overlay works better with ATIs IMX) then the sinks don't get extremely hot.

6. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I've just had incompatibility problems installing a PCI wireless card into my Sony Vaio desktop (PCV-RX201) and unfortunately Sony haven't updated the BIOS for this PC since I bought it... Would I be safer sticking to NVidia, or doesn't it make much difference..? I just want something that will plug and play...

Valhoudini, does you card come with cables..?

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    There should be nothing in the BIOS which is in any way timed to the graphics card, about the only thing the BIOS knows is the speed of the AGP slot and advanced settings like Combined Writes etc., so it shouldn't preclude the use of an ATI.

That said, I have no direct experience of Sony and like Dell they have been known to fiddle with generic BIOSes so I can't give you a categoric "it'll work fine".

8. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    SimonO, I've searched my office and the only cables I've managed to rustle up are an s-video to s-video cable and a VGA to DVI adaptor which I'll bundle with the card. I'll update my Ebay page to show this.

zAndy1, I live in sunny Grimsby :D which is just over half an hour away from Barton Upon Humber. I just realised I used to go fishing in Barton - some nice fishing spots up there if I remember.