1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement fuse for my 30H!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sea surfer, Oct 27, 2005.

1. sea surfer

sea surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +804
    hI, just encountered my first problem with my 30H, the led light are not showing any power, i have checked the manual and says to replace the small fuses at the back of the p.j (T 3 15A H) does anyone know where i can get a hold of these fuse's? :lease:

Thank's.

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,086
    Maplins may do them, or Radio Spares. Maybe even CPC (Farnels).

If it blows the fuse again, it may need further investigation to see why.

Gary.

3. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Do you mean H30?

You'd probably get a fuse from an independant TV sales/repair shop if you have one close or maybe someone like Maplins.
    Be sure the replacement fuse has the "T" prefix as it stands for timelag fuse while If I remember correctly "F" stands for fast, I can't remember what "S" stands for though.

4. sea surfer

sea surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +804
    Thank's guy's, shall try Maplins in the morning. :smashin:

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,086
    It must be relatively fast blow as it went before the fuse in the mains plug which is probably 13amp.

Gary.

6. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure you take the actual fuse with you - helps avoid any pitfalls!!

7. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary, i remember when i switched out my Sanyo plug to a UK plug i called Sanyo Techs for advice and they said definitely use a 13A fuse - they explained the reason was they did not want the fuse to blow easily as the lamp would be affected.

8. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Plug top fuses blow relatively slowly as they're filled with graded silica sand to act as a heatsink to smooth out spikes and prevent nuisance blowing.
    We used to manufacture 5 million of them a week on average with the record a little over 7, that was until three years ago when the company closed and everything was sent to China :mad:

Oh well at least I got a three week all expenses paid freebie to help set it up :clap:

I would suggest that a projector like the H30 should have a 3 or perhaps 5 amp fuse fitted.

9. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the plug?

I thought same as you but Sanyo Tech convinced me to go with 13A to lessen chance of damaging lamp.

10. sea surfer

sea surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +804
    I have taken out the two small fuse's from the back of the power supply, i shall take them with me in the morning, will post tomorrow evening if it fixed the problem, just hope it's not the bulb!!.

Anyone know what would cause the fuse's to blow?

11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,086
    Normally over-current, but sometimes they can blow for no apparent reason due to age (seem to get weaker after passing current for so many years). In this case I doubt it's age as it can't be that old.

I've know fuses to blow for no reason and a new one has allowed the device to carry on for many more years, so it could be nothing to worry about. On the other hand it could be a dodgy power supply or lamp choke (for example) causing a problem. Have a word with RTFM (Jeff) as he's a Sim2 dealer and knows the machine very well.

Gary.

12. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm afraid he gave you very bad advice and didn't consider the safety aspects.
    I realise this is going off the topic of projectors but it is important so let me explain.
    Everybody thinks that fuses are fitted to three pin plugs to protect the electrical appliance, wrong! :nono:
    The purpose of the fuse is primarily to protect the leadset which very few people including the majority of electricians realise, protection of most electronic appliances is usually by an internal fuse.
    With a higher rated fuse fitted in a plug and under the correct fault condition the lead can overheat and in extreme cases result in a fire. :eek:
    Manufacturers don't generally make leadsets they buy them from companies that do, the leadset consists of a lead with conducting wires of combined cross sectional diameter to suit the intended rating and with a moulded plug attached containing the correct rated fuse for the lead.
    Electrical appliance manufacturers then simply match the most appropriate leadset to their product.
    Incidentally I remember talking to a fireman a few years ago who told me that the single biggest cause of fires in the home was electricity, don't know for sure if it's true but it wouldn't surprise me.

13. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike you have me worried now!

Im going to need to find out which is the correct fuse rating for the Sanyo Z3

One thing though when i used my pj in Japan there was no fuse on the same lead and it worked fine for a few weeks

Maybe they have fuses somewhere else in their system

Okay you know your onions think i better sort this out.

It is plugged into a surge protected 4-way leadby the way - does this change anything?

Thanks for your advice Mike, its very valuable :)

14. sea surfer

sea surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +804
    I have replaced the two fuse's in the Projector still no joy, no power at all even tried a diffrent power lead etc, going back to my supplier today with the pj, just hope it doesn't take to long to fix it, use the Sim every day and will miss being without it for a week or so, its still under guarantee so hopefully everything should be fine.
    Shall post what the problem was when i get feedback back fron Sim, maybe be able to help some one how comes across the same problem.

15. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Fraid I'm only a manufacturing engineer that had responsibility for plug top fuse manufacturing equipment so I can only tell you what I know.
    I can appreciate that the advice given you might help protect the bulb in that the fuse would probably be less likely to nuisance blow however if the fuse rating is too high for the leadset it poses a risk under certain conditions as the leadset is not protected.
    Any electricians in the house who would like to comment please?

16. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Saithalo, try looking on the reverse of your projector plug (pin side) I just checked a dehumidifier and found it had 3A moulded onto it and also an extension lead which as you would expect had 13A.
    Obviously some leadset manufacturers mould the rating on the plug so you might just get lucky.

17. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're quite right, its says 7A on it!

Thanks, ive been using it for 8 months no problems but i shall think about putting in a 7A fuse.

18. sea surfer

sea surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +804
    just recieved my "10" month old Domino 30H back from Sim today, they sent it back to my dealer today with a note saying they have replaced the PSU!!

After coming home today I was eager to get it wired up and sit down and watch a movie, but to my disgust the bulb keep's switching it's self on and off after ten minutes. Look's like there is a diffrent problem with it all together!! I have tried it on all setting's and still with no joy the picture keep's going on and off and turning itself upside down!!

It is quite obvious that Sim have not checked or repaired my projector properly, I am absoloutly dishartend and disgusted that I've had this projector sent back to me in this way.

Unfortunately i will again be taking my 30H back to my dealer for a second time in four week's!! :thumbsdow will keep all off you informed.

watch this space!!