Question Replacement freeview box for pensioner

martian1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi i need to get my mum a new freeview box as hers has give up the ghost. I have sky so have no clue about them but it obviously has to be as simple as possible to use, reliable and be able to record programs which she misses. Anyone recently bought one ?
Advice appreciated

Cheers

I would have said get a second hand YouView box (Human model, which I got for myself as well as one fo my mother too) but they've recently changed the UI and software to make it less intuitive and more clunky to use, so that's not gonna be a lot of help.

Look for a good condition used Humax HDR-FOX T2. UI is pretty intuitive, especially if you look at the bottom of the displays that tell you what the coloured button shortcuts do.

Check out e-bay. Incidentally changing the hard disk for a new one is simple (the most likely component to go wrong). There is 3 on ebay currently.

Last edited:
Cheers I will have a look

Even with the UI changes, which are actually fine once you get used to them (and if you've never had the older UI much less of an issue), YouView is the way to go, considering it integrates all the catchup players and has functions like EPG search easily done. I would go for the BT branded model.

If you want a really basic old-school Freeview PVR, the Vestel is the simplest on the market (available at Argos as a Bush) but I would recommend the Humax BT YouView box over that for better, most wanted features.

HTH.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom