1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement for stolen phone

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by daveb975, Apr 19, 2005.

1. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I need to replace my uninsured, stolen Samsung D500.

I am 2 months into a contract with BT Mobile, who will not let me reduce the tarriff and pay off the rest of the contract.

I would like to buy an O2 D500, and put my BT Mobile SIM into it until such time as I can persuade them to let me cancel.

Will this be possible, or will I find the O2 phone 'locked' and unable to take my BT Mobile SIM.

Any advice appreciated!

2. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
  3. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Is there something in the T&C preventing you from changing tarrifs - even after a few months?

Might be cheaper to get a new [free] phone and new contract, and don't bother using the BT sim and then cancel it after the minimum term

4. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Depending on the "deal" - it can be up to 6 months before you can change to the cheaper tarrif. As Daveb is only 2 months in - he's got anything from 1-4 months to go. If he didn't want a D500, there are cheaper models out there and yes I can see your point on the second contract also. His arguable cheapest option is to get a cheap PAYG on the same network - but if he has to have the D500, really simfree is his only option without being tied to another contract.

5. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    A D500 on O2 online 50 (50 free minutes and 500 free texts) would cost £248 over the year - more or less the same price as a new sim free D500.

Some other deals may work out cheaper still

Plus the payments are monthly, not £250 all at once, and you will have two lots of free minutes to use (one from each contract).

I would seriously compare a good deal on a new contract with buying a sim free phone for similar money

6. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Thanks for the advice.

I am on the BT deal that is half price for 6 months (£14.99), and then I have got the option to downgrade to £12.50 per month from then on.

The problem lies with my keeping my number. BT will only issue a PAC code if I pay of the contract in full which will cost me £243! (£15x3 and £33x6). This is because I can't downgrade to the £12.50 tariff until month 7.

I had noticed the O2 deal on the D500 as well. I am quite tempted by this, but I would have to use my BT Mobile SIM in it for at least 3 months (to keep my number), and I am not sure whether this would work.