Replacement for Sky+ Box

stevielamb

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had enough of paying over £44 a month for a Sky TV service which doesn't offer me that much more than freeview (I don't even subscribe to the sport or movies channels).

I'd be quite happy to do without Sky altogether and just adopt Freeview going forward. However, the family are quite used to the following features of the Sky+ box:-
  1. Able to record via 2 tuners and watch something from the planner.
  2. An RF2 output sending the signal to the loft which then redistributes to a number of rooms around the house.
  3. Ability to use remote control via magic eye in the other rooms of the house.
  4. Very easy to use so the wife can play back her stuff from the planner.
Is there a freeview recorder that someone can recommend that has all this functionality?

Years ago I remember having a freeview card which you can use on the Sky box but I suspect you won't be able to use it to record things - just view only.

Thanks,

Steve.

You can emulate the Sky RF distribution system and magic eyes using any box with a analogue output that works at the same time as HDMI.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRI-LINK-Control-Freesat-Freeview-around/dp/B002R634DU

This post shows the connections using a BT Box that replaced a Sky box

Question - Changed from Sky to BT now cannot watch anything on second TV

Read the thread from the beginning it details a much superior solution if you can run a single cat6 network cable.

Why not stick with satellite and get a freesat + box like the Humax-HDR1000s/1010S/1100S or for Freeview the triple tuner Humax FVP-5000T.

If you can find a good secondhand HDR-FOX-T2 arguably the best Freeview+ pvr for years especially with the CF on board.

All have the required analogue out (The newer units lack scart but have the required outputs as RCA phono sockets Yellow (CVBS Video) and Red/White Stereo Audio.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Do you really want a Freeview box that is 'fed by' a terrestrial TV aerial, or do you want a Freesat box that is 'fed by' your sat dish?
I am led to believe that the freesat from sky card does not allow you to record unless you pay then £10 a month.
I second GLT about the T2 as a recorder for Freeview though.

Put it differently - the FreeSatFromSky card costs £10 a month and does let you record free channels, and receive a few subscription channels.

Put it differently - the FreeSatFromSky card costs £10 a month and does let you record free channels

To put it correctly the OPs cancelled subscription card would automatically become a FreesatFromSky card. The £10 per month is for a subscription to the Sky+ service to enable recording.

Pedant!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom