Replacement for REL Strata 2

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by limegreenzx, Mar 10, 2006.

1. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    I have Monitor Audio Radius speakers 2 X R270 front, R225 centre, 2 X R180 surround, 2 X R90 rear and a 10year old REL Strata 2 connected to a Yamaha DSP AX757SE.

I’m having difficulty integrating the REL into my setup for music and cinema. I contacted REL. I was told that the Strata 2 was never designed to have the high and low level inputs used simultaneously and that the crossover filter affects both the high and low level inputs. I find the crossover for movies needs to be set a lot higher than it does for music.

I think my REL is also showing signs of its age. So, should I replace the REL and what sub would you recommend.

My room is approx 6 X 3.6 metres, the sub has to be positioned in the corner of the room. It needs to accept both high and low level inputs and have separate crossovers for each. I like the look of the Gemini and XLS200. Is a down firing driver better for corner placement?

Thanks

2. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    Hi and Welcome :thumbsup:

I think Velodyne allow simultaneous connection of high and low level inputs but I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. They are very highly regarded on this forum and also include bass management (low level) which might help out with your room integration.

What is your budget?

I am sure you will get plenty of recomendations. :)

3. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    The Velodyne products do look interesting. However, I would prefer to buy British if I can. Would a BK Gemini be big enough to fill my room?

4. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    I have never heard the BKs but have only read good things about them. I am sure you will get a lot of replies over the weekend which will be a little more helpful.

:blush:

5. jagr

jagr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    I have'nt got a huge experience with home subs but I think my BK XLS200 sounds superb. I watched the 'Haunting' last night and that sounded amazing.

6. WarLock

WarLock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BK XLS200 here and rocks the house. Nice price too!

7. Repton

Repton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    got a room measuring 4.7m X 3.5m and also a BK XLS200-DF in the corner, it absolutely rocks:D

8. Repton

Repton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    but then I am a little biased!;)

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't think that the XLS200 can be connected in the way that you want ( and neither can the Velodynes). I believe that the BK Gemini can and some of the later REL's

10. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    The B&Ws don't support hgh level connections either. Or I'd probably own one instead of an SVS. (B&W subs were readily available when I was looking for a sub myself)

The British-made, BK Monolith offers high and low level connections and should be a decent upgrade. One that would stand a good few years enjoyment in your room size.

Though I haven't even heard one, it would have been my first choice. (Had it been available when I was looking) It looks good and it looks good on paper.

Remember that you can always turn down a good subwoofer.

The opposite isn't always true of smaller subs in larger rooms. Or when you just want to have fun. :devil:

11. WarLock

WarLock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the bk XLS200-DF has both high and low level inputs, and they can be used simultaneously but the cross over control is the same for both.

12. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    Thanks for all the feedback.

I think I may have fixed my problem. I bought an SPL meter from Maplins (currently £25 off normal price). I found that I needed the phase on the sub set to reverse. It probably didn't matter before as I had smaller satelite speakers but the Monitor Audio R270s go down to 40Hz. Using the SPL and the test tones from the snapbug site I was able to tell that the R270s and the REL were cancelling each other out between 40-50Hz when the phase control was set to normal. I was also able to very accurately set the gain control and could easily tell where the crossover on the REL should be set.

I still may replace the REL as I think the driver in my 10 year old REL is sounding slow.

I'll probably go for a BK sub as they seem well regarded on here and they're local to me. It's a shame the XLS200 doesn't have 2 crossover circuits.

Does anyone have any comments about the Gemini.

13. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    the Strata 5 is a fantastic sub, i own one and am more than happy with it in a 18x13ft room (albeit upstairs bedroom)......and by all accounts its a vast improvement over the Strata 3 (in fact apparently its a good improvement over the Storm 3, the model up from the prev gen!)....so i can only imagine its definitely a lot better than the Strata 2 you have....i dont know for certain tho as i havnt heard all of the others myself....

it does both hi and low level simultaneously, it also has a nice LED panel with remote control so setting it up from the listening position couldnt be easier :)

worth a listen anyhow, even if it is a little pricey as some people reckon compared to BK subs....the remote certainly is useful for setting up and occasional tweaking...