• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Replacement for REL Q50, opinions/options please!

zsmatt

Standard Member
Hi,

As per thread title I'm now looking for a replacement for my trusty REL Q50, that after a good run has suffered a failure on the outer foam ring on the main driver.

I have done a quick google search and (as i suspected to be honest), these subs have been out of production for years and REL can no longer supply replacement drivers for them.

Is it possible to simply replace the driver with another unit (maybe even a car style jobbie?), or would the impedance be totally wrong!?

I am also considering that I might have to totally replace the whole unit (cabinet/ the lot), and if that's the better option then do any of you guys have any recommendations for an equivalent sub that will be just as good (maybe even better), and how much should I be expecting to pay?

I have been looking at a B&W ASW608 that's up for sale on EBay for a decent price, but to be honest there's a huge choice so knowing which one is gonna be tricky! I am kinda swayed toward B&W as all my front speakers are B&W and I like the quality of them, but I'm open to suggestions too!

Don't want to spend the earth to get a new sub, but would like something that's at least on-par with my old REL sub, preferably better!

Would appreciate your opinions on this please!

Cheers
Matt.

gingerone

Someone is selling a mordant short ms309 on the forums for £95 that should be a nice improvement over the q50 I would imagine. B&w subs are not known to be very good

Dolus

I used to have REL Q100E and experienced the same problem as you.

Looking at the specs for both it seems that the only main difference is the size of the amplifier.

Q50E
Type: single driver subwoofer
Frequency Response: 25Hz to 120Hz
Sub Bass: 1 x 300mm long throw
Enclosure: 50 litre, closed box
Dimensions: 400 x 415 x 400mm
Weight: 16kg
Note: 50W RMS amplifier

Q100E
Type: single driver subwoofer
Frequency Response: 20Hz to 120Hz
Sub Bass: 1 x 300mm long throw
Enclosure: 50 litre, closed box
Dimensions: 400 x 415 x 400mm
Weight: 19kg
Note: 100W RMS amplifier
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did a lot of searching for a possible replacement driver that might work and found these.

Audax HT300M2 30cm 12" Professional Grade woofer £122.50
Audax HT300M2 Professional woofer

Audax HT300M0 30cm 12" Professional Grade woofer £123.16

Audax HT300M0 Professional woofer

and a link to a fact sheet:
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...FVi1y85pW1VvcSg&bvm=bv.50310824,d.ZG4&cad=rja

Manufacturers web page for AUDAX HT300M2
Proraum Vertriebs-GmbH | Shop | AUDAX-Lautsprecher | AUDAX HT300M2

Manufacturers web page for AUDAX HT300M0
Proraum Vertriebs-GmbH | Shop | AUDAX HT300M0/M2

I don't know what the difference is between the two drivers but size wise, screw hole spacing and appearance they both look like a straight swap for the existing driver. I never checked with Falcon or Audax or even REL to confirm they would work.

The thing is do you want to pay that much for a driver when you could get something like a brand new BK Gemini 11 with 150watts for £215 or for an upgrade a BK XLS200 for £315.

Gemini
XLS200-DFandFF

Incidentally I replaced my Q100E with a BK Monolith+

zsmatt

Standard Member
Well I think I've settled on a replacement, I'm not getting rid of the cabinet for the REL just yet, as I may do something with it at a later date, but I've been reading reviews for and had a listen to a Cambridge Audio Minx X200, and to say its probably less than half the size of my old REL I'm astounded at how good it sounds!, it's at the right price too!, will have a look round a bit more but this looks like it'll take some beating!

Frank1471

There is more to a replacement driver than its physical size.
Using its TS parameters, you would need to model the replacement in the Q50 cabinet volume.

I have a good Q50 going spare.
You are welcome to the driver for just the cost of the post, assuming you are in the UK.
Contact me direct if interested.
Frank

zsmatt

Standard Member
There is more to a replacement driver than its physical size.
Using its TS parameters, you would need to model the replacement in the Q50 cabinet volume.

I have a good Q50 going spare.
You are welcome to the driver for just the cost of the post, assuming you are in the UK.
Contact me direct if interested.
Frank

Thanks for the offer Frank, but I think I'll pass. The failure on mine looks like an age related failure as the foam ring round the cone ( don't know its proper name) has gone semi brittle and started to fall to pieces and I think its going to effect any Q50's still going if so as they'll all be getting on a bit now.

Cheers
Matt

zsmatt

Standard Member
Ended up going with the minx x200!, lot o sound from such a small sub!, it's less than half the size of my old REL, but to me it sounds just as good if not better !

Dolus

Great stuff :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

JVC 4K projectors, Denon X3800 & Perlisten speaker reviews, adding a sub to 2-channel + AV/HiFi news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom