Replacement for Panasonic EX85

contractor

Standard Member
Hi all, merry Xmas.
I've had the above for a number of years and been really pleased with it. It works fine but for the new telly, Samsung 40 7000series, I am looking for a more up to date replacement I.e. freeview+, bluray player and most importantly the ability to archive off to DVD either ordinary or blurry. I use this feature a lot and copy off to disc to take on my travels abroad.
I did actually purchase a Samsung BD8500 recorded but didn't do my homework well enough cos it doesn't archive from HDD to DVD even though the guy in shop assured me it did. So that will be going back later this week, shame cos it seems a nice bit of kit otherwise.

So, as per the subject can anyone suggest a suitable box please.

Thanks in advance,
John

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi all, merry Xmas.
I've had the above for a number of years and been really pleased with it. It works fine but for the new telly, Samsung 40 7000series, I am looking for a more up to date replacement I.e. freeview+, bluray player and most importantly the ability to archive off to DVD either ordinary or blurry. I use this feature a lot and copy off to disc to take on my travels abroad.
I did actually purchase a Samsung BD8500 recorded but didn't do my homework well enough cos it doesn't archive from HDD to DVD even though the guy in shop assured me it did. So that will be going back later this week, shame cos it seems a nice bit of kit otherwise.

So, as per the subject can anyone suggest a suitable box please.

Thanks in advance,
John

Your total set of choices in the uk market are the top four machines shown on this page.

Note that the two at the bottom with an S in the model name are for FreeSat reception not Freeview.

Also see this important sticky thread here which deals with the conceptual step which defines these machines and which mentions matters which may impact in regard of your travelling requirements.

contractor

Standard Member
Thanks for prompt reply Gavtech.
There is much to consider in the associated threads and I will continue to explore before I finally decide. Initially though I am drawn toward the bwt700 as it seems the better value. I currently do all my archiving in real time as I typically create LP discs of compilations to take travelling but the option to now and then swiftly archive one HDD recording is, as now, handy. I'm not too fussed about only 1 HDMI as this a breakfast room setup with sound bar rather than a separate amp etc. Equally lack of on board wifi doesn't bother either as TV has Smarthub with access to Apps, iplayer etc. Have I missed any other key duffs between this and the 800.

Also, am I right to assume that archiving of normal DVD on the 700 operates in exactly the same way as with my current m/c?

Many thanks again, John

Gavtech

Administrator
Thanks for prompt reply Gavtech.
There is much to consider in the associated threads and I will continue to explore before I finally decide. Initially though I am drawn toward the bwt700 as it seems the better value. I currently do all my archiving in real time as I typically create LP discs of compilations to take travelling but the option to now and then swiftly archive one HDD recording is, as now, handy. I'm not too fussed about only 1 HDMI as this a breakfast room setup with sound bar rather than a separate amp etc. Equally lack of on board wifi doesn't bother either as TV has Smarthub with access to Apps, iplayer etc. Have I missed any other key duffs between this and the 800.

The most important difference is the lack of RGB input on the '700 AV2... It is S-Video at best.... but this only need impact if you record from external sources.
Also, am I right to assume that archiving of normal DVD on the 700 operates in exactly the same way as with my current m/c?

Yes - except that as described in the 'concept ' thread, titles must be converted if you wish to high speed copy. Otherwise all the same.

It is worth remarking that HD sourced titles even when reduced to SD and put onto DVD will be considerably better than anything you will have seen previously .. in 'normal SD'

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom