Replacement for my Pioneer 656 - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by drljames, Mar 19, 2006.

1. drljames

drljames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I want to replace my Pioneer 656 with a newer model.. Doesnt have to be High Def (would be nice though)

I want the replacement to be able to play Divx (at the moment I have to dig out my xbox and use that), Super Audio and DVD audio would also be good (I do have few disks.. would still like to be able to play them).

I have been looking at the Pioneer 585.

I love the way the 656 sounds.. and I think the picture quality is pretty damn good too.

Any advice very welcome!

Thanks

2. ghislain

ghislain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    The pio 558 although a very good entry level player cannot IMHO be compared to your 656.
    A logical step upwards would be to look for a 668, 868 or even the 969 depending upon your requirements as to HDMI connectivity.
    The pio really excels in PQ when connected over HDMI - over component the competition offers similar PQ.

Other players to consider: Denon 2910, Oppo79 (HDMI only!), Marantz 7600, Cambridge Audio DVD89...all have one or more issues (MBE, lipsync, SACD bass management ...) but then again, the perfect all rounder does not seem to exist :D

3. drljames

drljames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for your reply... i would hate to change my 656 for something not as good! Am just trying to reduce the number of boxes I have under the TV :)

4. ghislain

ghislain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    If it is really only Divx you are after, there is no need to spend a lot of money - go for the 585, it handles this gracefully and costs on average about €150.
    Ok, its an extra box :eek: but should your 668 ever let you down, you have a spare player at hand.

5. drljames

drljames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Will see if I convice the other half about getting another box!

My other option is to get rid of my samsung 100e for a dvd recorder that plays divx :D