Replacement for my OLED

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by george1979, May 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. george1979

george1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Hi all,

Just looking for some guidance here as my LG EG910V is going back to richer sounds since it's intermittently switching off and they can't fix it. Thankfully they're giving me full store credit towards a new TV.

So I have £1000 to spend and has to be in stock with them obviously. Other requirements are that I want the same size - 55 inch.
    They already offered me a display model B7 OLED for £1300 (£200 off ticket price) but I really can't afford to spend that much more right now. I could maybe add another £100.

I'd quite like something which is half decent in hdr plus not having feet too far apart. My TV unit is about a metre wide. I'm thinking I'll need to upgrade our AV receiver as well since the Sony one we have can't handle 4k.

So far the options I'm considering are:

Samsung MU7000 55" £729
    Samsung QE55Q6F 55" £879 (they're offering 5% off this one so about £840).
    Panasonic TX58EX750B £899

I'm open to other suggestions. The MU7000 seems to have decent reviews and I could get a better AVR with the change. The Q6 is QLED so I gather it will handle HDR better. The Panasonic has another few inches of real estate but doesn't leave much change for the AVR and I'm not sure it's worth the extra.

I saw one or two Sony's but I understand they often use underpowered processors which, combined with Android TV, puts me right off them. My current TV is slow in daily use and it does my head in.

So I'd appreciate your thoughts and advice with this. Thanks in advance!

2. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,147
    Don’t think you need to upgrade your receiver - just put your equipment to tv and one cable from tv to receiver via arc HDMI

Best non OLED tv @ 55” (within budget) is Sony XE9005. If you hate Android that much just get a streaming dongle (not a euphemism)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. george1979

george1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    I haven't actually used Android tv but from reviews and the av forums podcast it been made clear that Sony's TVs are slow. I grudge paying for a TV where even the EPG runs slow. Especially for the money, there's really no excuse for it in 2018.

I like the OLED picture on my current TV but I've come to realise that, for day to day usage, the speed and smooth operation of the TV are really important to me.

I appreciate the suggestion though :thumbsup:

Edit: that's a good thought regarding the AVR - definitely something for me to consider!

4. george1979

george1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Actually reading the avforums review of that Sony and I'm impressed.... Hmm I'm gonna have to research that one a bit more. Didn't know it had a direct led backlight...

5. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,360
    Don't worry about the stand that comes with a TV, you can always buy your own cheaply.

That aside the XE9005 is the go to option for you and a many others.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. george1979

george1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Yeah I've been reading reviews of the Sony and it does seem like a good option. Still concerned about the speed of the OS though as I've seen people on these forums mention it on this model as well.

It may not seem like a big deal but I'd be using the OS every day. I won't be using HDR as often. Having lived with a slow TV for the past year I really don't want to end up with another one.

Might ask RS if I can try one out in store.

7. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,147
    OS wise, LG and Samsung are pretty much neck and neck. Although LG is OLED only due to LCD range being so poor.

Ask about 2017 Q7 to compare.

8. george1979

george1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    I have a 40 inch Samsung in the bedroom and the OS runs perfectly with no lag at all. LG is out of the running due to the extra cost. So seems to be down to either the Sony or one of the Samsung TVs. I'll ask the store if I can test the Sony. If I think I can live with the OS then I'll likely go for that.

9. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,360
    I wouldn't rely on using any built in smart TV at all, much like a smartphone even if its fast at first, it soon won't be.

Not to mention all the bugs you get.

10. george1979

george1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Right so after ordering the Sony xe9005 yesterday I called and cancelled it today. Read the avforums review of the xf9005 and the laggy, unresponsive OS has put me right off. Seen from other post in forums people commenting on the same thing. Plus if this year's model is that bad the last year's is only likely to get worse so I don't wanna take the chance of having to return another TV - far too much hassle.

So I'm now looking at the 55inch Sammy Q7 - which would involve me paying another 100 quid - or the 65inch Samsung MU7000 which wouldn't involve any extra cost.
    Question is would I be better off with more screen real estate or a smaller screen with better colour and HDR performance (and it looks a bit fancier but that's not a major buying concern)?

11. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,360
    That is up to you, a larger screen offers the potential of more detail depending on your viewing distance and sources, plus more immersion from the size, whilst a smaller screen will mean that poorer quality sources look better, plus HDR will look better.

Its a question almost everyone has to ask themselves when going for a TV.

12. kamil550

kamil550

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Absolutely agree and thanks to the dodge i am an owner of a 65lgb7 which i am delighted with.
    I have gone through upgrading from a 46 inch philips led to 55 lgb7 oled then panasonic 58txb902 then sony 65xe9305 led then back to an lg55b7 which i felt a mistake (sizewise and because of my wife complaines) then because really liked the lg oled have exchanged it finally for a 65 inch lgb7 oled and have not regreted a minute.
    My advice is always go for the biger tv if posible..

13. kamil550

kamil550

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Would relly like a sony oled because of its procesing which is noticably better but this option is alot more expensive,but in future (never know)..

14. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,360
    I don't think the high end Sony's warrant the extra imo. Maybe the AF8 when it comes down in price. Picture processing may be a little better but its not leaps and bounds, it also has its own problems such as trouble with 50hz content and poor frame insertion.

15. kamil550

kamil550

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Shame.
    Seems like every tv has its own problems so you need to chose which you can live with.

16. george1979

george1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Right so I'm now stuck between a rock and a hard place with richer sounds and my replacement TV. LG have authorised a full credit of £1000 for a replacement.

After initially agreeing to the xe9005 on Saturday after I was advised the OS was fine I did more research and found out it was the opposite so cancelled the order on Sunday.

I was going to go for the 65mu7000 but they don't have any left.
    After calling them today I asked if I could just take a TV of lesser value (55mu7000) and put the rest towards a new AVR since I can't see any other TVs at £1k I really want. They say they can't do that and, if I take a lesser value set, then I lose the remaining value of the credit.
    I can't really afford to spend another £200 for the Q7 - I would have only needed to chip in maybe 50 quid for an avr TV combo.

So I'm really not sure what to do now. I don't want to lose the credit value and it seems silly that I cannot use it for whatever products I want since I can get a different brand of TV.

Anyone here had experience of this situation?

17. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,360
    Get the 55XE90 and your own smart TV?
    Or the 65XE85 and your own smart TV?

I guess richer also don't have TVs like the MU8000 or MU9000 for similar pricing to the MU7000?
    Or the Hisense NU8700 or U7A?

18. george1979

george1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Sony are out I'm afraid. I can't live with the slow operation. Even recently people on here were saying it was taking 40 seconds to boot after an update. They found a workaround for it but it's a TV, I don't want the hassle of doing that when I get in from work and want to watch a movie.
    I'll have a look at the hisense ones. Ideally want something half decent with hdr (except Sony).

19. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,360
    I see no solution to get an ample HDR TV without using your own smart TV then, you aren't required to use the built in smart you know.

Samsung Q7F is the only other alternative for decent HDR but it's over your budget. Don't look at the more expensive Q7FN which is the 2018 model.

Reason I suggested the Hisense models is because they compare to the MU7000 pricing at 65". A TV at this price and size for 65" is not going to be good with HDR.

I don't know why you cancelled the order for the Sony, which may have slower smart TV, but is a hell of a lot better with picture quality than anything else. Do you favor smart TV over picture quality?

20. george1979

george1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Forgot to say, they do have the MU8000 for 949, so I wouldn't be lossing that much but I gather that basically the MU7000 with an anti reflection filter so it hardly seems worth the additional 200-odd quid.

21. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,360
    Yes the MU9000 (Curved) MU8000 (flat) same TV as the MU7000 but with anti reflection filter.

MU9000 isn't that bad at that price, its a lot cheaper than it has been but when you see the Sony XE9005 for not much extra and the MU7000 for quite a bit less it shows its poorer value.

Do they do the 65 Hisense NU8700 or U7A?

22. george1979

george1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    It's not specifically about the smart TV functions but about the overall day to day use as many people report slow operation in general. Lag after selecting a channel, slow to boot up, EPG slow to appear and so on. I can use the fire stick or Xbox for Netflix etc but the generally slow operation of the TV is something that I cannot tolerate. Especially not for a grand.
    I know it's a good set otherwise but this is a deal breaker for me.

23. george1979

george1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    They have the 55 inch u7a but it's only £649 so wouldn't be worthwhile. I appreciate the suggestion though :)

24. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,147
    Q6 could be worth demoing.

25. george1979

george1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Yeah I was looking at that. With 5% discount they're giving on it it would work out about £160 less than the value of the credit for my exchange.

I really don't understand why I can't just get a cheaper TV and use the rest for a new AVR. Don't see what difference it makes to richer sounds. I'm grateful to be getting the full value back but it doesn't do me much good if i can't use it all. :(

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  26. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,147
    It’s an odd situation, I agree. Perhaps try escalate it to management? I can’t understand what difference it makes... but either way hopefully you get a good set eventually.

27. george1979

george1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Yeah I've messaged @Richer_Sounds directly to see if they can help. This whole saga has been a trial to be honest, can't wait till it's over.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  28. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,360
    Seen this happen before where people have gotten stuck between the time of the 2017 models being best priced but going out of stock while the new 2018 models are still overpriced.

Unfortunately giving you only credit means that you only get value getting a 2017 model, if they replaced like for like you'd probably be able to ask for the NU8000 or similar.

Can you keep the credit and use something until black friday? Then you may be able to use toward one of the new Samsung QLEDs when they are reasonably priced.

But I don't think the Sony's operation is going to be that bad and certainly not worth worrying that much about. It used to be, but not so much on the XE90. If you get the XE90 and you can't live with it, return it.

It's much better getting a TV like the XE90 than the Q6 or Q7 imo, despite its sluggish operation.

29. george1979

george1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    LGs letter says it's valid for 3months so that would take me till mid August. I was thinking I could wait it out but it goes without saying there's no guarantees. It could mean all the decent 2017 models are out of stock and the 2018 models haven't dropped enough in price to get something decent.
    As for the XE9005 I've seen too many user reviews complaining about the speed to ignore it. Some people are sensitive to motion, I'm sensitive to sluggishness lol.

30. george1979

george1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Update - a lovely fella called Tom from richer sounds just called me back to sort this out. So I can actually use all of the credit authorised by LG towards a TV and amp.

They're now going to deliver the MU7000 55inch and a Denon X2400 amp. Not only that but they've kindly offered to waive the 60 quid or so difference as a goodwill gesture due to the hassle.

It's been a bit of a saga at times and a couple of slight missteps from Richer Sounds but, to their credit, they've put it all right and went above what I was asking for in the process. Can't fault their customer relations team at all.

Can't wait to get it all set up. Need to start buying some 4k Blu Ray discs now