• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Replacement for my mini HiFi system

crudpuppy

Standard Member
We have had a Technics SE CH 610 bundled Hi Fi system for absolute years.

It has:
3 CD changer
Double cassette read/write
Tuner
and Amp

It's four units connected with a ribbon cable. Jolly convenient and good to look at. And we built a unit round it, so we'd like something approximately the same size!

It still sounds very good (on better speakers than it was supplied with), but one of the cassette decks is wonky on reverse play, the CD player is a bit picky on quality and doesn't do MP3.

What I'm looking for is a modern replacement about the same size. I NEED the double cassette deck - we have thousands of cassettes. The Technics website isn't showing anything like it. Recommendations?

Last edited:

crudpuppy

Standard Member
Yes, and there's quite a few similar, even Technics, units at eBay. However, I'm finding difficulty getting through the morass of kelkoo etc. to some solid facts and figures. If Technics was still making this unit or its descendant, I'd target that, but if they do, it's not on their website.

mrbenn

Established Member
TBH you will not find a new mini hifi system with a tape deck now, let alone a double one. (you may be able to find one on ebay?)

However - Richers still stock double tape decks and so do superfi:
SONY TCWE475 TWIN CASSETTE DECK (BLACK) - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/731 for details

with this as you probably know you will need an amp, cd player etc - this will cost more than a mini system but it will sound much better.

if you really need it small - then a denon DM37DAB has two phono inputs so you could buy the above full size deck and connect

if you give us the budget we can spec you something

KT88

Standard Member
you need to put all your tapes onto a hard disc with double back-up, then stream that or rip CD's from it.

that way the tapes aren't getting used and more worn,
and you could borrow a good Nakamichi to do the job.

crudpuppy

Standard Member
a denon DM37DAB has two phono inputs so you could buy the above full size deck
Brilliant idea. I could certainly do it that way, and I see Pioneer does a double cassette deck too. I have a thing (justified or not) against Sony. The Denon you suggested or a similar Yamaha (which I favour) would do the job. The only thing is that a CD changer is handy, and it would be nice to have a single remote for both.

I've used superfi before, for my home cinema subwoofer, and I'd use them again if they had the right stuff, so I'll do some browsing.

Last edited:

crudpuppy

Standard Member
you need to put all your tapes onto a hard disc with double back-up, then stream that or rip CD's from it.

that way the tapes aren't getting used and more worn,
and you could borrow a good Nakamichi to do the job.

Good idea but you would not believe how hard I would find it to justify the work (we are talking hundreds here) and the indexing. I just want to grab a cassette (which I recognise from its case), slap it on and play it. With so many tapes, none will wear out in my lifetime, and if they do, I'll buy the CD of the cassette!

mrbenn

Established Member
Brilliant idea. I could certainly do it that way, and I see Pioneer does a double cassette deck too. I have a thing (justified or not) against Sony. The Denon you suggested or a similar Yamaha (which I favour) would do the job. The only thing is that a CD changer is handy, and it would be nice to have a single remote for both.

I've used superfi before, for my home cinema subwoofer, and I'd use them again if they had the right stuff, so I'll do some browsing.

Yes either the denon or the yam (i would advise the denon) with a pioneer tape deck. You could get a universal remote to control both (the sony will work with a remote - not sure about the pioneer)

Speakers wise look as mordaunt short 902i's or tannoy f1 customs wire up with vandamme blue 2.5mm

crudpuppy

Standard Member
Would this be too cheap/low fi ? Sony CMT-EH45 DAB Micro System: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Geoff.

Lasky's do the same item for £79.89 delivered.

Thanks Geoff that was a constructive suggestion. Yes, I'm familiar with the unit. We have one in the bedroom for my wife's talking books (her eyesight is poor). It is a bit tatty. This is our third unit. One lost its mind and wouldn't do anything at all, on another, the CD stopped working at the end of each disk, and on the current one, it chews up cassettes if you let it run to the end of the tape.

Besides, the sound quality isn't up to the Technics, by a long way, and the cassette deck has to be operated by hand. There is no remote function for it. And I'm not keen on Sony.

crudpuppy

Standard Member
Yes either the denon or the yam (i would advise the denon) with a pioneer tape deck. You could get a universal remote to control both (the sony will work with a remote - not sure about the pioneer)

Speakers wise look as mordaunt short 902i's or tannoy f1 customs wire up with vandamme blue 2.5mm

Browsing still further, I find that an ONKYO set (TX8255 tuner/amp, TARW255 cassette deck and DKC 390 multi CD) which I think will all work off the same remote would fit the bill, and I could just squeeze 'em all in, stacked. The bottom line (even without speakers) is around £650, unfortunately. However, I see that the end-of the-line Technics offering was around £1000, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised or disappointed!

As to speakers, I am using some large, old, 70s vintage, but still wonderful, Celestion speakers on the technics system. They knock the little Jap speakers that came with technics into the shrubbery. If I do upgrade, then I'd be inclined to go for something physically larger than the speakers you suggest.

This is beginning to get expensive.

mrbenn

Established Member
TBH if your looking at full size separates then give the onyko stuff a miss - the amazon.com reviews are not that great - how about:

Nad c315BEE £199 - (or Cambridge audio 340SE £200)
NAD C315BEE AMPLIFIER - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/3494 for details

Pioneer PDM426 6 disc cd player £179
PIONEER PDM426 6 DISC CD PLAYER - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/3501 for details
Pioneer tape deck £139
PIONEER CTW208R TWIN CASSETTE DECK - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/785 for details

just a few suggestions - if you up your budget then you will have many more options - go and try and listen to a bit of kit and see what you like
dont worry about keeping kit all same make - a universal remote will work with all (logitech 555 or similar)

crudpuppy

Standard Member
Well, I've been agonising over this for months, on and off.

I've decided to use another shelf for a component of the system, which lifts the space restriction that was halding me up.

My first thought was a completely TEAC system - PDD2620 CD changer; AG790 tuner/amp; double cassette W415. But I read some unfriendly reviews of the cassette player in particular, and the cassette player is hard to find these days.

I was prepared to use the Pioneer cassette player instead, but the remote appears only to work via a Pioneer amp. That threw me back on the Sony TCWE475, and I'm not keen on Sony HiFi products... call it prejudice, but the facilities of the deck look first class.

The other possibility for the whole system is Denon tuner/amp (DAB this time) DRA700AE; Denon DCM500AE CD changer; and (holding my nose) the Sony TCW475 cassette player.

I'd be grateful for any further feedback.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom