Replacement for Mordaunt Short MS409W Subwoofer

Mac128

Standard Member
My Mordaunt Short MS409W Subwoofer has died and it going to cost over £200 to have it repaired. I like the Genie speaker set that it was a part of so I would rather just replace the subwoofer than the whole set.

I would appreciate any suggestions in the under £500 bracket.

Many Thanks

Badger0-0

Sub Woofers

The best bang per buck subs you can buy.

I ought to be on commission for the amount of times I've recommended them :D

Consider the Monolith which will make the 409 seem puny (do a search on here ;)).
Fantastic sub, but large.

roaduck

Novice Member
Thanks Badger I will look in to that.:thumbsup:
I had A Mordaunt Short MS309 which was okay but as Badger says the BK Monolith or even the BK XXLS400 will blow the MS409W out of the water.

richardbirks

Standard Member
My Mordaunt Short MS409W Subwoofer has died and it going to cost over £200 to have it repaired. I like the Genie speaker set that it was a part of so I would rather just replace the subwoofer than the whole set.

I would appreciate any suggestions in the under £500 bracket.

Many Thanks
My MS309 "died" ... i.e. it powered on, but with no sound. A little bit of investigation showed that the notch filter switch was knackered. The logic in the subwoofer needs the notch filter switch to be either "on" or "off" before it'll make any sound.

I soldered a small wire in place to bypass the switch altogether, effectively hard-wiring the notch filter into the "off" position. It's been ok ever since.

Of course, if you tend to use the notch filter, it's simple enough to hard-wire the switch into the "on" position as well.

Mac128

Standard Member
Thanks Richard,
The problem with mine is that power is not getting past the input stage. I think a component on the power supply board must have blown, sure smelled like it when I opened it up to check the fuses.

richardbirks

Standard Member
Almost certainly a capacitor has spilled it's electrolytic guts then... is it possible to do a visible inspection?

Mac128

Standard Member
I will have to try again to get the back panel off completely. When you remove the screws and prise off the back there is very little room due to the short length of the cables and I couldn't see an obvious way to disconnect them. If I can disconnect the cables I will take a picture of the board and post it here.

adam81

Hi Guys,

There's a few of these on fleabay that are spares or repairs, so trying to identify which issue they are likley to have.

@Mac did yours power on, or not even show evidence of that? The ads on ebay suggest they power on but lack the output so possibly just this notch switch.

Mac128

Standard Member
Adam mine worked fine until one day I noticed that the sound was different and the blue light was not glowing.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom