Question Replacement for Monitor Audio ASB-2?

Discussion in 'Soundbars, Soundplates & Soundbases' started by McMac, Jul 19, 2018.

1. McMac

McMac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Help/advice please

I need to replace my 2 year old Monitor Audio ASB-2 Soundbar. It has fallen off of the unit it was sitting on, broken the casing, blowing the fuse when plugged back in and something is rattling inside - so basically dead.
    I am looking for a replacement for it (I need to speak to my insurance company tomorrow). Cost me £649 two years ago. Connected to LG 55b7 via optical but has 3 HDMI inputs + one HDMI out (ARC).
    I have another of these units in my bedroom, so you can tell I like the sound it makes.

The ASB-2 is a substantial construction and well made (weighs over 11kg).
    I am looking for something as well made, doesn't need a separate sub to sound good. Plenty of space for a larger unit (this one is 18 cm (H): 100.5 cm (W): 16.7 cm (D))

Tried a Denon Heos 2 years ago for about £500 before I bought this one to replace it. The Denon just did not have the depth of sound or the build quality.

Thoughts/Advice?

Thanks in advance McMac

2. McMac

McMac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    So, went out to listen to a few sound bars. Most seemed to struggle with clarity when people where just speaking normally. They sounded like I was is in a cinema listening to an advert rather than just hearing a conversation - does that make sense.
    Every shop wanted me to hear the crash bang wallop of a move, rather than jus listening to people talking. 90% of my viewing is watching normal TV programmes.
    Listened to the Sonos at £699 - not impressed but maybe not the ideal testing place in a shop
    Sony at similar prices - too much topend/treble
    orbitalsound 70 at £399 - disappointing
    Lg range up to £1100 - similar to Sony
    Samsung seemed ok. The 750 and 850 where the same price + £100 off. The user reviews on here are commenting on the lack of multichannel DTS.
    I would be feeding speaker via optical from LG 55B7 but would also feed via HDMI arc if better choice If soundbar was capable.

Struggling to make a choice

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,571
    'Every shop wanted me to hear the crash bang wallop of a move, rather than jus listening to people talking. 90% of my viewing is watching normal TV programmes' - happens at Trade Shows too, drives me nuts.

'I have another of these units in my bedroom, so you can tell I like the sound it makes' - another MA unit would seem to be the obvious contender, if you like their 'sound' and they have something in your price range.

Joe

4. McMac

McMac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi Joe

Hope you are well.

Had a listen to the ASB10 (active soundbar). It was OK but not as good as the ASB-2. Off tomorrow, so will go and have a listen in a few shops.

I may bring the unit in my bedroom down and buy something for up there as a replacement.