Replacement for Linn K9 cartridge?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Mythimna, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Mythimna

Mythimna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to replace my Linn K9 cartridge. My fairly old system comprises: Linn LP12 turntable/Akito arm, Naim Nait 3 Amp and Linn Tukan speakers. Any suggestions from anyone with a similar setup would be welcome. Thanks

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Shure V15 VMR - £180 on Ebay Hong Kong rrp £300 (I use the venerable V15 Mk III from a K9 on my Akito)
    Denon MC-103 £100 uber budget cart
    Grado Gold Prestige MM £120

3. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185
    Many, many moons ago I was running an LP12/Ittok/K9 combo going into an Exposure integrated amp with some Royd speakers. At the time, my (Linn) dealer recommended I go for a Roksan Korus Black over a K18 (or another K9). The dealer was right - the Korus Black really... ahem, sang (sorry!) in that flatter than flat system. A big improvement over the K9 in all areas, I was very pleased - it's a nice, down the middle cartridge. In later life I've discovered it's well liked by a broad cross-section of dealers for its reliability, compatibility and performance. Replaceable stylus too.

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Goldring 1042

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,115
    High Output Dynavector 10X2....if they still do them....cracking....It's a high output moving coil so will wrk with MM stage in Naim.

Gordon

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,115
  7. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
  8. A.N.

A.N.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    denon dl160 is a bargain. imo, better sounding than the 103, and dare i say it, the 304!

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,672
    Denon DL103 has an excellent reputation,and the advantage of a relatively high output,but you could also as mentioned above try the Dynavector,which has a more dynamic sound as far as I remember,and currently the Shure V15 is a bargain in the upper end of MM cartridges.

If you intend to do more with the TT over time,upgrading the power supply is another very worthwhile upgrade,and there are a good number of options from DIY Armageddon clones,through to Linn's own PSUs...I bought a Lingo for mine recently and was very pleasantly surprised by how obvious the improvement was.

10. Mythimna

Mythimna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone. Was not expecting such a wide choice to still be available. Having sought out some info on the various suggestions, not sure my current use of vinyl or the Akito arm justifies spending some of the figures quoted (I'm only replacing the K9 because no replacement stylus is available). Unsure about MC with my setup, so leaning towards either the Goldring 1042 (£134.99) or the Grado Gold Prestige (just £96.95 at one online shop). Any further comments on these appreciated. My musical tastes are varied, but mostly all types of rock (particularly progressive and folk).

11. box986

box986
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have an LP12/Akito and recently replaced my K9 with the Linn Adikt. Vast improvement over the K9, slightly more expensive than some of the other
    options quoted, but definately worth it!

Rich...

12. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185
    I was always lead to believe that the Roksan Korus Black and the Goldring 1042 were one and the same cartidge - except that the Roksan was tipped with the better FG stylus. Certainly on (much later) audition I preferred the Roksan, albeit the Goldring remains a fine cartridge too. FWTW.

13. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
  14. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'd have a preference for the DL110, over the DL160 (& save £20) indeed used one in my Linn LP12 for many years. I don't think either is as good as the 304, in terms of detail and top end response - but it does require a very good arm & precise phono stage matching to show it at its best.

Paul

15. Mythimna

Mythimna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the Akito arm / Naim a good match for the DL110 & DL160 MC cartridges?

16. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,672
    As decent as most at that price range,but as Paul has said,there are benefits from a better arm,and attention to matching the cartridge to a decent,well set up phono stage.

Cartridge loading seems to be a very variable feast,with many recommending running 47kOhm loading for MCs,which basically results in maximum possible treble extension,at the cost of a sometimes bright sound(although both my recent MC's sounded fine this way),and another problem is that a number of phono stages require a trip to the maker to adjust loading,and some come with no options at all.

17. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Certainly the output of the DL110 is fine for a Naim 47k MM input (as should be the DL160). Cartridge weight is not an issue as it's lighter than the offerings from Goldring and the like, output is a bit lower and compliance a bit stiffer, being a high output MC. But I can't really offer an authoritative view on how it would sound or match your set-up. I'd expect it to sound more refined, with better consistency (smoother) then the K9, but with a shade less pace.

Paul

18. Mythimna

Mythimna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After much deliberation, plumped for the Goldring 1042 and couldn't be happier. I'm actually amazed at the improvement for such a relatively small outlay (£114 via exchange scheme). There's more detail, instruments and vocals are clearer, it's easier to follow the bass lines and the overall sound is more open, powerful, vibrant and musical. Can only assume my K9 was well past it's use by date! Next on my list are decent headphones, although I need to overcome the problem of not having a headphone socket first! Suggestions welcome.

19. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,672
    Glad you're pleased with that.....if you've any queries about headphones,have a good look round the headphone area of the forums

http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=128

.....Where you should find plenty of help and opinions.

20. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    How about this??

21. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,672
    Very decent little amp for the price,although at around that,you may be able to find a used MF X-Cans,and for a decent bit more,things like the Slee headphone amp are much better...still the Creek is a good H/phone amp,and the Amber also gets good reviews from a few people here...have a look in the H/P section.

22. Mythimna

Mythimna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this. Not quite sure how much to spend. Would I not require a better amp than the Nait 3 to justify going beyond the suggested Creek price range (and how do h/phone amps connect to the Nait - is it via the tape socket?) or do h/phone amps effectively stand alone?

23. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,672
    You'd be running the Creek off the tape outs from your Nait,which is a very decent little amp,and should go well with it....you can run a h/phone amp directly off a CD player's output,but it won't work with a TT on it's own.

24. Mythimna

Mythimna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

25. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,672