Replacement for iPod classic, UI-wise?

inkbotkowalski

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there.

I'm fed up with my 2nd hand iPods (160GB) breaking constantly (and also, iTunes on the PC is the absolute worst), so I'm looking for a lightweight replacement. I bought a Hidisz AP80 Pro on a whim because I depserately wanted a volume wheel, but golly, the UI is a nightmare.

I'm looking for a DAP that is lightweight, sounds good and holds a lot of data, doesn't cost the world, and whose UI can do the following:

- play all songs from one artist (current can only play all tracks within single albums)
- go from song to artist/to album (like, when it comes up in shuffle or in a playlist)
- search (why doesn't the AP 80 Pro have that?!)
- display characters like ä, é, ï, etc.
- somehow... group together the same artist, even with slightly different spellings? iTunes could do that with "album artist". So that "Roisin Murphy" and "Róisín Murphy" would be in one folder and not two
- sort artists by the word after "The" and not create a giant "T" section with all the "The" bands
- resume from last played song
- gapless playback
- shuffle within album/folder, shuffle all

Ideally, but I know that's very tricky and probably isn't possible:
- can import iTunes playlists (I have a ton and I'd hate having to re-do all of them)

I hope that's not an impossible ask, and thank you in advance!

Thank you. That does look pretty good -- my two reservations are:
1) I'd like something more lightweight than the iPod classics I've had previously (but I can ask the seller how much it weighs)
2) The last iPod I bought 2nd hand had a faulty main board that couldn't be repaired by the repair shop, and I'd only had it for a year. I'd hate for this to happen again, but I don't know how to check for that in advance.

I have answered this before, but the Sony WNA 35 and 45 will do the business. ..the current model is 55 .but I don't know it. . The iTunes software will recognise the device.

I have answered this before, but the Sony WNA 35 and 45 will do the business. ..the current model is 55 .but I don't know it. . The iTunes software will recognise the device.
Thanks! Can its UI do the things I listed in the first post? I've googled the 45 but the review said "clunky UI".

Thanks! Can its UI do the things I listed in the first post? I've googled the 45 but the review said "clunky UI".
The umlauts and other special characters , etc ..I think not but I think most of the others are covered. Certainly I would have say a load of mary black albums ,and it can play all mary black ,and repeat them. So album or artist yes. I cannot understand this gapless playback, so I reckon its not a problem.
Now a point is that the Sony ripping software .for the PC . similar to iTunes is called Music center , and I dislike it, it is very protective . There is an older one called Media Go , which is very flexible, and allows entire iTunes libraries to be linked . It is no longer available from Sony,but search engines will get you archived copies from somewhere.
But even better for someone getting weaned off Apple, the iTunes software , thinks the WNA is a ipod and you can synchronise to the Sony in exactly the same way as you would an apple product.
I have never got my head around playlists, .. My idea is just to either play a tune, or usually an album ,or rarely an artist, or just point it somewhere and take random shuffle from there.
I got my wife a Filo M7, and we find its UI perplexing

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom