• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Replacement for Freeview using a Virtualised Media Centre with Hyper-V RemoteFX

drillep

Standard Member
I'm trying to build a Media Centre which will playback live TV broadcast and EPG.

I had planned on going the streaming route with NowTV but the box didn't support the main UK channels so I've binned that idea.

I need a recommendation for the TV tuner card, I had hoped the card would replace the EPG from the Freeview box, I could connect my TV and forget its there. My aim is to eliminate all the devices apart from the PC from underneath my TV.

I have a license for Windows Media Centre which I'm not hugely fond of, however I didn't really like XBMC either.

Has anyone had any success with Hyper-V using RemoteFX, I haven't tested it yet but without RemoteFX the frame rate is poor and I can't access any audio without a remote desktop connection.

D

Deleted member 39241

Crikey, that sounds ambitious, good luck!

Just to say that I am very happy with my HTPC set up, that does everything you want using a HTPC, with Black Gold DVB-T2 tuners (x2) and Black Gold DVB-T tuners (x2) an intel core i3 IvyBridge and ATI 6450.
Software is MediaPortal. It acts as a Freeview PVR, media player, and online video / music streamer. I have two additional clients in bedrooms, that can access all the features of the main server in the lounge, including the tuners, and all are synched via trakt.

MediaPortal is free. It takes a while to get it configured to how you want, it is very customisable, but will probably be easier than Hyper-V and Remote FX.

jcjefferies

For several years I have been using NextPVR which is similar the MediaPortal but a bit lighter. I run a HP Microserver with a single and a twin USB DVB-T tuners to record Freeview hidden away in a cupboard. The server has a couple of PICe slots so have been looking at adding a DVB-S2 card. Black Gold and TBS both sell DVB-S2 and DVB-T2 cards but they seem to run a bit hot and there are stories of them failing after a couple of years. SVBSKY claim to use a later generation of chips which don't run as hot so was thinking of getting a DVB-S2 card made by them. The software allows you to merge terrestrial and satellite channels into the one EPG.

For playback I have two low spec client computers in the lounge and bedroom, one a tiny twin Celeron nettop and the other and old Pentium 4 slimline desktop. Originally both were running the NextPVR Windows client but recently started using the XBMC client on Openelec. I dislike XBMC but there is a NextPVR add-on which hides the normal XBMC menus and has the advantage of not needing Windows.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom