Replacement for faulty Samsung 65KS9000

Flazsa

Standard Member
Reaction score
Morning. I have had a Samsung 65KS9000 since May 2017, since then it has already had two replacement screens through various faults. It has now developed a third fault where there are clumps of dead pixels at the top of the screen.

I have been back to Fenwicks in Newcastle where I purchased and they have said that the will replace the TV seeing as the screens are no longer made. I have been told that the nearest available set is a Samsung 65NU8000, which i can have or credit to the value of 1260 pound to put towards another TV.

Question is do you think that the NU8000 will be a similar spec TV or is it worth asking for them to match against something higher? Any help would be appreciated

Paul

No. Not anywhere near same level. You’re looking at Q7 or Q8 to get roughly same spec.

NU8000 is not uhd premium certified; it doesn’t get as bright; doesn’t have quantum dot.

Thanks, That’s what I was thinking. Is hdr10 not the same as uhd premium? Just wanting to get my facts right before I go back to them

Is hdr10 not the same as uhd premium?

UHD Premium is a standard normally for a certain nit count for HDR content and performance:

UHD Premium Features | UHD Alliance

HDR10 is a type of metadata for High Dynamic Range, we now also have Dolby Vision & ( DV Sony Pseudo Version) and HDR10+, HLG or Hyper Log Gamma which is an NHK & BBC metadata, and Technicolor which is quite rare at the moment.

There is a format war happening like the days of Betamax and VHS, Blu-ray and HDDVD etc, sooner or later one metadata will win outright, I think HDR10+ most likely will as time passes due to Dolby Vision license fees becoming an issue for content and film makers.

Haven't seen the UHD Premium logo since the KS series was launched.

Zep has recommended the best options to compare with the KS9000, the XF90 would be just under that or you could look at the LG B8 OLED as an option.

NU8000 is a good buy but definitely not comparable to what you already have for HDR content.

Thanks for the in depth information on uhd, makes sense now. In terms of quantum dot does that make a massive difference (sorry to sound clueless) I just want to have the answers to back up my argument.

They had the Panasonic 65z802b for £1600. Which is similar to the q8, is that a good alternative too?

Your TV wasn't marketted as being a QLED but it is a QLED, Samsung have been using Quantum dot since 2015.

Quantum dot TVs tend to have slightly better colour coverage in the HDR spectrum than other TVs, but only a few percent. Generally there are more important aspects to HDR though such as local dimming, something Samsung lack until you hit the Q8DN/Q9FN.

So really as mentioned above, the most similar to your old TV now will be the Q7FN/Q8FN.

Generally though if you are looking at other manufacturers better value can be found elsewhere, both the Panasonic OLED you mentioned and the LG B8 are great value right now. As is the Sony XF9005 at 65". At the top end the Samsung Q9FN is good too.

Excellent, thanks everyone for all of the help. I’m going to go back to fenwicks and tell them I’m not happy with their offer for exchange. Keep your fingers crossed for me:smashin:

Hi all. Just wanted to update to say thanks to the info I got off you guys, I have been offered a full refund for the original price I paid for the tv. So as you can imagine, I’m over the moon!

Thanks again!

Hi all. Just wanted to update to say thanks to the info I got off you guys, I have been offered a full refund for the original price I paid for the tv. So as you can imagine, I’m over the moon!

Thanks again!
Fantastic!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom