1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

replacement for failing sony strdb925s

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jugknacker, Aug 22, 2004.

Tags:
  1. jugknacker

jugknacker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all,

my trusty sony strdb925s has deleveloped an odd high pitched whining sound that increases in frequency and volume as the volume knob is turned up. this only happens if its been turned off over night, and when its warm its fine. so, as i suspect the amp may be on its way out, i would appreciate if anyone could help me choose a good amp that sounds as good in stereo (ive had it almost 6 years so it sounds good to me ;)) and even better for movies.

ive been looking at the strdb2000, but ive not been able to demo it, and ive not been able to have a go of the remote either (or see the remote for that matter). i think ive fallen into the manufacturer loyalty rut as i have a sony dvd player and tv too.

anyway, can someone reccomend something thats nice in stereo, got a good remote, and will work well with B&W DM602/LCR60/DM601 setup. ive got around £400 to work with. another question i forgot to ask is if a current 400 receiver will give a better sound that this strdb925s that i paid 560 for all those years ago?

thanks very much in advance.

:)

p.s. could anyone point me in the direction of somewhere i can read up on the differences between 5.1 and 6.1 or even 7.1 amplification. im not sure what information these extra channels carry and if they are pseudo encoded in the amp or there are specific dvds that carry such things.

deep breath :)

2. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
  3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Have a look at the Yamaha AX750SE. There are many threads on here about it. It can be had for arround £400.

basic setup 3with 2 fronts, a center and 2 rears and sub.

As above with the addition of a centre rear speaker. Used by DPL2 EX and DPL2x and DTS ES. Also some THX modes at a guess.

7.1 only really appears with those people with deep pockets and THX Ultra2 I believe (correct me if im wrong please) :lesson:

7 speaker mode is what most people use. Its the same as 6.1 with an aditional speaker out putting the same sounds as the centre rear channel. Im not to sure if DPL2x treats it differently.

I think im correct. You could always look at THX or Dolby's sites for more info.
    :D

4. jugknacker

jugknacker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    had a good research tonight after reading your reccomenation. looks good, but theres a few things im concerned with. looking at the remote, its gonna have to be the on screen menu. so if i use the on screen menu, can i have it on my scart 3 as a menu only channel?

by the way, thanks for the info and the replies :)