1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement for Denon AVR2802?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ma701ss, Jan 19, 2005.

Tags:
  1. ma701ss

ma701ss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I want to replace my Denon AVR2802 receiver. This was just ok for playing music and blew once when turned up reasonably loud for a few hours. Watching films isn't that important at all for me, I rarely do, but I do have 5.1 surround speakers and want to make use of them when playing music. My question is, which amp should I go for around £300 that I can use with surround speakers that is geared more towards music? I've been looking at the NAD amps, but the ones I've seen all seem to be 2 channel output.

Scott

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Why dont you just keep the 2802 for your film watching and buy a decent 2 channle amp for your £300? You will need to up your budget to get a decent av amp that plays stereo anywhere as well as a stereo amp in the £300 range.
    Like:
    http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=2766&aid=53502&oid=3368
    http://ws2.pricerunner.hughesdirect.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=NAD-C352CT-TIT

You can always link them together and use the stereo to drive the front channels and hte denon to drive the rest.

3. ma701ss

ma701ss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any comments on the NAD T743? Looks like it's good for music and watching TV/DVD. The problem I had with the Denon is that it cannot handle playing loud music for too long. It just blows! I don't want to have this problem again.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    adding something like this http://www.avland.co.uk/marantz/pm7200/pm-7200.htm to take the starin of running the fronts will give you far more power than any AV amp £300 wont get you a solid AV amp, but on a stereo AMP it will..just connect denon preouts to maratz processor input and connect CD player other stereo only source diret to Marantz leaving the deno to decode 5.1 and run centre and rear speakers

OR pick up an Arcam P80/90 seconhand

5. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Bit of an worry the 2802 "blowing" after a period of playing loud ? ?

I had a 2802 until very recently,(got a 2805 in its place), and NEVER in the two years of owning it did it EVER develop any faults, even though it regularly got a sound thrashing with both movies and cd's etc.
    What I'm driving at is if there could be something other than a definite fault?
    Where is the amp situated? has it got plenty of ventilation available to it? no problems with any of the wiring (interconnects/speaker cables etc).Basic questions I know, but gotta start somewhere.
    As you'll know £300 aint gonna go very far with regards to a genuine "all rounder", but why not try a dedicated stereo amp like the advice thats already been given? You can easily connect it to the 2802 so the stereo amp will drive the front L/R, leaving the denon to concentrate on the surround stuff, (will probably help with the cooling of it as well due to less strain as also been mentioned).

So as I said earlier:- just double check the wiring (even the whole length of the speaker cables) for chafing/nicks/cuts etc,as this could cause an overload to the amp. Check that the amp is WELL ventilated,move it (if poss) as a temporary measure for testing purposes.
    Also check the impedance of the speakers is not too high as this is another cause of problems as the amp struggles to "drive" them,causing overheating and the amp shutting down.And finally if you are "spanking" it for long periods (and if so hows your hearing?), there may be a possibility of the amp "clipping" as it cannot sustain the needs of the speakers if they can handle much more than the amp can supply,and simply trips out (usually with disasterous results).This is not the same as overdriving the speakers (this is when you hear a CRACK from the speaker, usually followed by a whisp of smoke and burning smell), I should know I done it with my Mission 773's :devil:

Hope this all helps,

TTFN

6. ma701ss

ma701ss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. I need to get rid of the Denon cos there's no room for two amps where I've installed all the gear. Mechanic - I have KEF 2005 speakers (don't know if you're familiar with them) and as far as I can tell all wiring is fine. Speaker cable is at least 79 strand too (don't know if this makes any difference). The time it blew was when it was on full volume (almost) for about 4 hours when we had a partaaaaaaaay. It did overheat a lot because I believe it may have been poorly ventilated due to a shelf above it trapping the heat. However, I didn't mention this before, but it blew again the other day when my 15 year old sis had a party. We'd moved the amp to the top shelf so there wasn't anything around or above it at all, so it had good ventilation. I wasn't there but apparently they had the music on full volume all night (not hard to believe). How can I test the wiring is OK? Is there a meter test I can do on the cabling? I can't physically check the cable buried in the walls for nicks, etc. Maybe there is a resistance problem or something?

Scott

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    hmmmm Kef Eggs shouldnt push the denon ovet the edge (they are also crap for stereo) either sort ventilation out, get a fully digital AMP (run cooler) or throw good money after BAD

8. ma701ss

ma701ss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hornydragon, any suggestions on a digital amp considering my set up?

maybe i just have a wiring issue that i can meter test?