Replacement for dead Denon Ceol N5- advice please to allow bbc sounds playback

laughingboyuk

Ive had an N5 in my kitchen for 7 years linked to two half decent speakers and a sub which has served us well. It’s been misbehaving recently so I attempted to update the firmware and it bricked it (stuck midway- not response to various attempts at resetting.

I often listen to BBC shows on playback through the sounds app when not listening to live radio. That was the reason I didn’t invest in a Sonos amp when i got the denon.

Denon have just released the N11 which would fit the bill but it a bit expensive, of an N10 while they can still be had.

I have some 4 year old Sonos One’s which I could use but they cant use the amp and I cant play BBC sounds through them (only the new ones have airplay).

Any suggestions please?

muljao

So does this mean you just need a good setup to run your speakers that has airplay?

laughingboyuk

So does this mean you just need a good setup to run your speakers that has airplay?
Thanks for replying.

Yes- internet radio running independently and playing back bbc sounds from phone/iPad/pc. I can listen live on the sonos speakers but listen later to a lot of shows.

laughingboyuk

My Sonos speakers are too old to use airplay but i read that if i get a newer speaker I can slave the old ones to the new one over airplay. Could that be an option?

muljao

Do your sonos have aux input

larkone

You could use bluetooth to transmit the BBC Sounds stream to the Denon

laughingboyuk

You could use bluetooth to transmit the BBC Sounds stream to the Denon
Sorry if I wasn’t clear- the Denon is dead having bricked during firmware update. It did work well playing bbc sounds from phones and iPads for some years but had been misbehaving recently.

laughingboyuk

Do your sonos have aux input

No there are the old Sonos: play 1’s. Just a network socket in the back.

I’m loath to spend £400 on another denon. I’m thinking if I can slave the old Sonos speakers to a new Sonos one with built in airplay it may be the cheapest solution, but it leaves my speakers and sub unused. To be fair they live on top of the cupboards rather than mounted or built in so can be repurposed easily.

larkone

Sorry if I wasn’t clear- the Denon is dead having bricked during firmware update. It did work well playing bbc sounds from phones and iPads for some years but had been misbehaving recently.
Apologies I thought your were getting the N10 or 11, it was related to that.

xmb

You can get a Yamaha CRX-N470D for £249. This has Airplay (1) and Internet radio.

muljao

I'd contact Denon. If it's bricked by software there may be an easy fix. The hardware is fine. It'd be worth a shot

Jules Tohpipi

Ive had an N5 in my kitchen for 7 years linked to two half decent speakers and a sub which has served us well. It’s been misbehaving recently so I attempted to update the firmware and it bricked it (stuck midway- not response to various attempts at resetting.

I often listen to BBC shows on playback through the sounds app when not listening to live radio. That was the reason I didn’t invest in a Sonos amp when i got the denon.

Denon have just released the N11 which would fit the bill but it a bit expensive, of an N10 while they can still be had.

I have some 4 year old Sonos One’s which I could use but they cant use the amp and I cant play BBC sounds through them (only the new ones have airplay).

Any suggestions please?

Regarding the possible N11 option, your gateway to listening to BBC Sounds or other streaming services such as Spotify, Tidal and Qobuz doesn’t have to be integrated into the box. A secondhand Chromecast Audio off eBay for £25 will take care of all that. You can then plug it into whatever system of your choice and control it from your phone by casting (which is a better choice than using AirPlay). I wouldn’t let the streaming side of things be the tail that wags the dog.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom