Replacement for Canon HDV30

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Mark98, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Mark98

Mark98
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to update from the above camera. Nothing wrong with it per se and I do like the fact that tape gives an archival copy but I'm also getting a little fed up with the slow response time from off, the extra bulk and the real time copying. Therefore I'd like to move to a flash based camera but I'm not sure which model. I like its image quality and would not want a backward step. I did look at the Canon HFS 21 but the price was little high for my liking and I feel that I'd likely be paying for features I don't use. The main and almost exclusive use is for videoing the kids hence the desire for faster startup. I really don't tend to do much other than straight up videoing - nothing creative with settings etc, more auto than anything.

Needs:

• Flash based
    • Good image quality, comparable to HDV30
    • Fast start up, likely much of a muchness with flash
    Wants:

• Built in storage would be nice.

Would something like a Panasonic SD90 be suitable, say more than some of the cheaper Canons - I get the impression than Panasonic is pretty good for the more middle priced machines?

Any suggestions for models greatly appreciated.

2. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    The HV range of cams were great i still have my HV30 but only use it as the third storage medium now [tape]from my card cameras,of course some quality is lost compared to Blu Ray,its a shame the canon card cams are a bit expensive for you as picture wise they match up best with the HV range but best of luck with whatever you get.

3. Mark98

Mark98
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have done some more research and found out a little about issues with AVCHD and editing. I use a Mac and I've read that files need to be converted to Apples intermediate codec for working within iMovie etc. I'm guessing this happens automatically when video is imported in real-time from the HV30. However I also see that for the Panasonic the manual says to use iFrame mode which resorts in a lower resolution than 1920x1080 (960x something). The compatibility issue is highlighted in the Apple support pages. This puts me off using the Panasonic.

The Canon cameras seem to be ok in that you import through the camera like I do presently and it does the conversion on the fly - I'm guessing that's a slow download, but still better than present.

Chris, do you use an editor like Adobe Premier etc that deals with AVCHD in its native non-linear guise? I think one of my issues with the S21 type is that although a fantastic camera it's been superseded and I missed my chance to pick it up cheap. The replacement (when it arrives in Australia) is likely to be sold for top dollar - unfortunately the exchange rate doesn't always count for much - and if I'm going to sideline the HV30 which cost quite a bit I'd need to keep the next one reasonable.

4. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Personaly have PINNACLE & CORAL i did use ADOBE for a bit but i use pinnacle most as it is best for BD imo although lacking some of the functions that pro software has,my cameras are PANAS gh2 + fz150 i just load the files of footage i do to my avchd external dive where it is stored,for edit its a question of opening up the software and getting the files from the external drive,so yes i edit the native files,i still use my HV30 to put footage as the third edited storage with Blu Ray Extenal and HDV tape.