Replacement for Cambridge CXA81

You could try an amplifier with warm sound. Marantz PM6007. Or place the speakers on the long wall in your listing room. This should help with first reflection from the walls into room. Getting more direct sound from the speakers.

Photo could help.

Getting some soft feet, Soundcare superspikes could help also. Then granite block underneath the speakers. I’ve been in the same situation like you. Sometimes it’s not the room, but the way amplifier suits the speakers. Or even your brain/eras.

Sometimes taking long break from music listening, could help. Good sleep and so on. I would talk to your local hifi dealer and explain the issue. Alas, it’s so easy.

I have the MA silver 300. Bought them 50 percent cheaper because of the new MA range like 300 7G, otherwise I could never afford them. The amplifier I used before with this speakers were the Marantz PM8006. To be honest even though Marantz is warm sounding, it was too much energy in the upper midrange. Probably the wrong combination with the speakers.

After getting Rotel amplifier then working many, many hours with speaker placement. In the end I’ve solved the issue. By all means it’s not perfect, but it suits me. Recordings like Alice In Chains Unplugged versions is great recoding for speaker placement. The Man Who Soled The World by Nirvana also.

Thanks for the Advice.
What did you think of the PM8006 ? It was on my shortlist when I got the Arcam.

My memory of the Marantz amplifier is it’s bit soft sounding in the bass, treble. While still being extremely refined. It’s rich in the midrange, while also being bit thin at times. Overall quite warm sounding. It’s difficult to explain. You need to hear your self. I’d give the Denon 1600NE chance also.

Marantz isn’t so powerful per say. On paper they are. Since they are soft sounding it can rob music drive, punch. This is what I mean with powerful sound. You can crack the volume, but it never really go nowhere.

Still if you get the perfect speakers you can’t go wrong with any Marantz amplifier. Design wise they are beautiful. And many of them are build like tanks. I might give Marantz another chance in the future.

I’d give the it chance if you like the Marantz sound. Many do. They still, and always we’ll be one of the most respected brands on the market.

My memory of the Marantz amplifier is it’s bit soft sounding in the bass, treble. While still being extremely refined. It’s rich in the midrange, while also being bit thin at times. Overall quite warm sounding. It’s difficult to explain. You need to hear your self. I’d give the Denon 1600NE chance also.

Marantz isn’t so powerful per say. On paper they are. Since they are soft sounding it can rob music drive, punch. This is what I mean with powerful sound. You can crack the volume, but it never really go nowhere.

Still if you get the perfect speakers you can’t go wrong with any Marantz amplifier. Design wise they are beautiful. And many of them are build like tanks. I might give Marantz another chance in the future.

I’d give the it chance if you like the Marantz sound. Many do. They still, and always we’ll be one of the most respected brands on the market.
Got the PM8006 very impressed so far!

Thanks to everyone for there advise.

The Cyrus one hd is loved almost universally in that I haven't seen a bad review of the unit (actually what hifi only "like" it). It has loads of connectivity and 100wpc, goes for 700 ish at the moment, worth a look I'd say
Mine pairs beautifully with my 606's. Highly recommended and can be picked up for a song if you keep an eye on unboxed or ex display.

The headphone jack and dac seal the deal...both excellent. Check the reviews.

Edit: Apologies...I didn't read the full thread before I posted. Doh! (it's still a sweet combo though :)).

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom