Replacement for B&W 601 S3

The amplifier you’re using at the moment should be enough for the R3 speakers.

Rotel always makes amplifiers with hefty power supply.

Why do you need extra set of R3 speakers?

We have a carnotzet in our basement , we often spend an evening there as it’s a very swiss way of eating and spending time with the family. We always have music on so this is for a second system.

I guess I would really need to change the amp though as the R3 need power?
No, they are fairly easy speakers to drive and a wonder for that and the price at the moment. Profit.
(Manufacturer (KEF) recommend an amp of 15 to180W so your fine Rotel will be fine).

Finally sorted, finding some walnut ones here was slightly challenging but they arrived last week and just got around to setting them up.

Going to enjoy a raclette with my wife, a good bottle of vino and some music on these beautiful speakers.

Have a good Sunday all.

47CE4967-122C-405C-B7C2-AC0BB9DBE2D3.jpeg

Finally sorted, finding some walnut ones here was slightly challenging but they arrived last week and just got around to setting them up.

Going to enjoy a raclette with my wife, a good bottle of vino and some music on these beautiful speakers.

Have a good Sunday all.

View attachment 1834266
Using them on a cabinet they would benefit from having some isolation under them. I use Fisual isolation feet under my R300s.

Using them on a cabinet they would benefit from having some isolation under them. I use Fisual isolation feet under my R300s.
Absolutely agree with you, I’ve got some on order but they haven’t arrived yet. I’m just too impatient not to set it up 😂😂

If you do gat any annoying resonance, a couple of folded tea towels will do the job.

Make sure the cabinet is either, not touching the wall or stick it on with blutac!

The room is below , please excuse my very poor skills but the yellow is a corner sofa and the red with two black marks are meant to be a unit and speaker position lol.
For the space that you have, you might want to consider a pair of Ophidian Mojo 2.

So I had a bit of a strange experience, I asked the dealer if I could bring my Rotel to test the speakers. He absolutely refused saying that he does not allow this as I should buy a new amp from him. It was totally bizarre.

I’m tempted to get another pair of the Kef R3 but in walnut finish as I love the sound. I guess I would really need to change the amp though as the R3 need power?

I’m totally confuzzled, albeit 1st world problem!
I would just try another dealer, The R3s are great speakers but you do need a powerful enough Amplifier to get the best from them.

So I’m looking for some opinions. The Rotel drives them fine but there’s something missing. The detail just isn’t there compared to the Arcam system upstairs , albeit they have a power amp too.

I’m thinking they need something a bit more than the Rotel to get the best out of them.

I’m thinking of a Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 or sticking with the Bluesound and adding an exposure 2510.

What’s the wise opinions of AV forum?

The 1120 every time. It’s a surprisingly potent amp, plenty of current for dynamic necessity and RP is a joy.

Ps, the 1120 is in any case a top class amp for detail, but adding a good RP run will astonish you.

Removing the blurring affect of the rooms contributions is a big plus and has a noticeable effect on detail retrieval.

No, they are fairly easy speakers to drive and a wonder for that and the price at the moment. Profit.
(Manufacturer (KEF) recommend an amp of 15 to180W so your fine Rotel will be fine).

It’s the dip to 3.2 ohms that’s cause for concern. A fast recovering good quality current supply is necessary.

Ps, the 1120 is in any case a top class amp for detail, but adding a good RP run will astonish you.

Removing the blurring affect of the rooms contributions is a big plus and has a noticeable effect on detail retrieval.

Ps again. Just had another peek at your set up photo. And definitely recommend some form of room correction.

ARC, Dirac and Lyngdorfs RP are all excellent.

Out of the three, I found RP to be the best all round and the easiest to use.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom