Replacement for Arcam AVR100?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mr Cheese, Dec 28, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    My AVR100 is on its way out, a buzzing sound, from the DSP board I think. Anyway I've been incredibly pleased with the sonic peformance of it and want to replace it with something with an equivalent audio performance. I don't need any HDMI connections, I do need at least 3 digital audio connections. I don't mind buying second hand. I can't really afford much so there's no chance in getting another new Arcam! The amp is 10 years old so I guess technology has advanced. The question is are today's budget amps equal to a 10 year old Arcam? Any recommendations would be most welcome Budget is around £200 - £300 is that even possible? Are there any worthy second hand amps that fall into this budget or do I go for new?

2. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Simple answer is absolutely not. A budget amp will not sound great in comparison. The thing that still costs a lot with avr's is the power supply and analogue stages per channel. You will often find eg Denon/Marantz/Yamaha that the feature set is pretty similar across the range but it's the power stage and amps per channel that jack the price right up and it's ability to acheive it's ratings without distortion.

I'd be trying to source a more recent Arcam AVR eg 300/350 a 250 or 280 would also be fine if you can live without pre outs. It's that or just accept that you will take a big quality hit. Your Arcam was a fairly high end piece of euipment when it came out and the 'analogue' part of amps/avr's has not changed much in decades really.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,268
    Get yourself another used Arcam. You should be able to pick up a used AVR280 for around £200.

Arcam avr | eBay

4. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks, that just as I thought. The 250/280/300s seem to come up on Ebay fairly frequently so I think I'll go down that road. Cheers for the input.

5. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    If you can source a 350 go for that, as that is the 'best' of the old DIVA AVR line up. The 280 is the same amp down a bit on power and with it's preouts removed. The 300 and 250 are the older versions of those two.