Replacement for ailing RD-XS32 ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by skyline32, Sep 7, 2005.

1. skyline32

skyline32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My XS32 has died. Initial symptoms were that it would make discs which it could not play back ("Check the disk. It may be physically damaged or require cleaning"). Now it won't even finalise - it can't read the recorded titles to grab the image for the thumbnail. I've mailed Toshiba to ask if it is possible to swap out the drive for a PC DVD drive but no response yet. It still works perfectly for timeshifting, but my primary use is making DVDs for a friend in the USA - I send between 5 and 10 discs out per week.

One thing I haven't tried yet is real-time dubbing, which would get me out of a short-term hole but isn't a long-term solution.

So I'm looking for a replacement. All of my recordings, without exception, are from a Sky box, so a IR emitter for channel changing would be good. It would be nice to get more than 2 hours per disk at full resolution. Nicer still would be silence - I find the noise of the XS32 fan a bit obtrusive. Fast dubbing would be good too. RGB loopthrough is necessary since my TV only has one RGB SCART. My editing needs are trivial - all I do is lop the ads from the start and finish of each recording. Any suggestions?

Now that BBC/ITV have announce FreeSat I'm not sure of the future need for a HDD/DVD recorder as we now know them - I've always thought it strange that we have to go through multiple digital/analogue/digital stages to record stuff from satellite - so I guess there is a gap in the market now for a satellite receiver which can just stream the digital data to disk then copy to DVD in the form of MPEG-PS files, with no loss of quality whatsover. I currently do this with my GBSat receiver but it's painful since I have to transfer files to a laptop via USB then convert them to MPEG with a utility written by a couple of Italians who have stopped developing it...

2. loreweb

loreweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. bernie_pt

bernie_pt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Skyline32, are you using the same brand/type od DVDs as before? I seem to remember something about 'write strategy' and that the new 8x (and 16x) discs are incompatible with older versions of player's firmware. are you using the latest FW version?
    Related to GBSat: in another post, someone is talking about the Topfield 5800 and software to make the Transport Stream -> Program Stream. Is that the software you are talking about?

4. skyline32

skyline32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I initially used TDK Scratchproof DVD-RW and never ever had a problem. But I didn't want the recipient to have to return disks for reuse so to save money I switched to DataWrite Titanium DVD-R since I saw a post recommending these with the XS32.

When I had the "can't finalise" problem I switched back to DVD-RW to see if the same problem existed. It was a new blank, and the first attempt to format failed, second succeeded, but I still couldn't finalise. It really does look like the drive is burning incorrectly now.

The S/W I use with the GbSat is "Talpa Nanide TPVRconv". Sadly it can't handle ITV3 so for that I use PVR.exe, which creates MPEG-PS files with some sync errors. I have posted on satnews.it asking for the source of TPVRconv (since Talpa and Nanide are no longer developing it) but to no avail.

I was kind of thinking about ditching the GbSat and buying a Topfield, but I can't afford to do that and to replace my XS32 at the same time.

Current best choice for the replacement seems to be the Pioneer 530 - I don't need the 160Gb disk or GuidePlus but the 433 can't do stb control so that lets it out.

5. loreweb

loreweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used the TDK -RW too. But one month ago they started not to work, so I tried the Imation and SURPRISE they work very well (for the moment...)
    So I can advise you to try one of them!!

6. skyline32

skyline32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Presumably a new batch? The ones I am using I've had for ages, they worked fine before but not now.

Recording in real-time worked for a couple of days but even that doesn't work any more.

So I think it's time for a change to a Pioneer DVR-530H. Things have moved on quite a bit in the last 18 months.