1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement for a walkman

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Cheese Police, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Cheese Police

Cheese Police

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - looking for some advice.

My wife lost her walkman again, so I'm going to buy her a present to replace it, but I'm not quite sure what I need. Obviously, it can't be too expensive, since it might very well get lost, and small and light would be good too. I have an Arcam CD33 and A32, and a laptop and would like to copy CDs for her. So... what's best: a minidisc player, an Ipod, MP3 player, anything else?

My budget would be no more than GBP150.

Can I copy directly to any of these devices from my CD player? It has two sets of unbalanced RCA sockets, and co-axial and optical digital-out. Or would I need to use the laptop?

Thx

2. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Try a creative labs Jukebox 1 or 2 (MP3 player), the original one is discontinued but you may be able to find one cheap., They will hold 50 to 150+ discs for the 6Gig drive and more for the bigger drives, (depending on the compression you use), you will need a PC or laptop to download the tunes.

Alternatively the Mu-Vo is solid state and Very small (probably easy to loose :rotfl: ) will hold 30 to 80 tracks.

http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/search.jsp?catId=100164013&siteSearchQuery=creative+Labs

3. Cheese Police

Cheese Police

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot Pwiles - they look cool, but perhaps a little bulky and I think she might want to use it at the gym. I looked on Amazon and saw the Mu-Vo you mentioned, and also something called the Mpio FL100. This is more the kind of size I was thinking of. What are the benefits of getting a minidisc player for instance? Are there any?

Yours in absolute ignorance

4. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With minidisc you can copy CD's straight from your CD player (digitally if it has optical out, or via line out), or download tracks (fairly) quickly from your PC. They sound very good, too (very close to CD quality), and the disks themselves are durable, and the players have very good skip protection - useful in the gym.

Something like the Sony MZ-N510 would be in your price bracket.

Sorry, that link's not very good, but you can search for N510

5. simonb68

simonb68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, I have the MZ-N10, it replaced my MZ-N900 (I think thats the model). Its expensive, more than your budget, but I chose this one as its very small and light, rather than for any sound quality and feature benefits. There are other NetMD models in your price range. As KJ_Palmer says you can copy straight from a digital optical source, or use NetMD which is very cool, copy an entire CD in 4 or 5 minutes. It doesn't allow the maximum sound quality, but one step down 130khz rather than 192khz or something like that, but I use LP2 compression anyway, and given the environment it was going to be used in didnt really matter to me. It does sound good, I don't know how it compares to a CD walkman though.

After I bought it I found out about the IPod, would I have got one instead, probably not. Its bulkier and heavier than the MD player, and as far as I am concerned it only has one benefit, the capacity, and possibly the UI. However given the primary reason for getting portable audio, my commute, one or two disks is enough per day. I use CDs and decent headphones at work. If I wanted more variety, hence capacity, then I would certainly consider an IPod. If you're willing to forego more sound quality LP4 compression on MD would give you even longer play per disc.

Where the Ipod possibly wins out, and I don't know for sure, I've never used one, is mixing tracks. The MD has edit functions, but without a keyboard is still a bit clunky. I've not tried this with the NetMD software, it may well be very easy.

I don't know anything about mp3 players.

HTH
    Simon

6. Cheese Police

Cheese Police

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, starting to veer towards the minidisc players now... mostly because of the ability to have many discs, plus I don't download music off the net. Thanks for the link KJ_Palmer - have you ordered from this company?

I reckon my wife won't mind losing out on the ability to mix tracks

:) - the Ipod's more expensive anyway, plus I think conceptually, take things one step at a time, i.e. a minidisc player is like a walkman with minidiscs instead of tapes and doesn't require faffing around with PCs and USB cables, because I'll make the recordings for her. She also has a long commute (1h30). Another stupid question: the minidisc player comes with an optical cable (toslink to 3.5mm mini jack) - will this go straight into the back of the CDP or do I need an adaptor?

thanks a lot for your help

7. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheese Police (!)

yes I have ordered from myminidisc, they are a German company and are VERY good. Got my order in 2 days. They're also very good for accessories (microphones and the like).

Yes - If your CD player has a TOSLink optical output you just connect that with the supplied cable to your MD. If you have coaxial only then you'd need a converter, or use an RCA cable to the line out.
    Your track marks will be preserved perfectly if you record digitally.

I've not used NetMD, realtime is best to maximise sound quality.
    Feel free to ask any more questions.

8. Cheese Police

Cheese Police

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, gone a little over budget, and ordered the MZ-N10 - suspect as a kind of a joint present. Since the Germans remove their 16% VAT and Swiss VAT is around 7%, this works out pretty well. Thanks for the tip!

Ben

9. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's an excellent choice Cheese, high-end and much better in facilities than the N510. I hope your wife takes care of it though... :p

10. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    With MP3 you do not have to download from the Net if you do not want to, you load on your own CD's, via a PC CD Drive, it can retrieve all the album info from the net so no typing in track names, artists, etc.

I have about 200 discs on a JB3 and use it like a jukebox hooked up to my HiFi. You can make your own play lists, Jazz, Rock, His, Hers etc, or play particular Genres, artists, albums, it does seamless random play and sounds almost as good as my CD player.

11. Cheese Police

Cheese Police

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I wasn't knocking MP3 players, but I think that the size and similarity to a walkman was what swung it. I'm impetuous though, and if yesterday someone had sent me a link to a shop that delivered MP3 players to Switzerland, I might have gone for that.

Kevin - it is a bit of a worry. She recently forgot to return 2 DVDs for two weeks (they were in one of the lesser-used handbags)and we ended up paying an 80 quid fine :mad:
    so definitely a bit scatter-brained.

12. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    That’s about 5 new DVD's :eek: so the budget is down to £70 for her new player :rotfl:

I knew you were not knocking MP3 I was not sure if you were aware of the flexibility, to be honest I do not use mine as a portable.

13. Cheese Police

Cheese Police

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe I'll get myself an MP3 player! Best of both worlds really, and then I can see which is more practical, better sounding etc... this time I will wait though. I'm very attracted by the idea of making compilations for myself - which I can obviously do on minidisc as well - as well as for my wife, friends.... Just finished rereading High Fidelity and have new enthusiasm for compiling music for people. It's a nice gesture, gets them listening to what they should be listening to :lesson: and is very personal. And good sound quality! Many of my old compilation tapes were made up of songs recorded from other tapes, or even other compilation tapes. Look forward to it.

Is there a way of hooking up a minidisc player to a standard stereo amp (no optical/digital inputs)?

14. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm always making compilations (usually CDR) for my girlfiend and other people, and I think they appreciate it. Might be more 'cos I'm always boasting about my equipment though :rolleyes: .

Yes, you can hook your N10 to a stereo amp with a line cable - you need a 3.5mm minijack at one end and RCA (phono) plugs at the other. Obviously use a spare line input on your amp and plug the minijack end into the headphone output on the N10 - this doubles as a line output. Set the audio out on the N10 to LINE OUT and you should get crystal clear playback through your amp.