Replacement for a Technics

M

minimad

Hi!

A friend has a 10 year old Technics a700 stereo amp running a set of Bose 301 speakers.

The system currently sounds a little "woolly".

So, (apologies for swearing!) he went to Richer Sounds and bought a Cambridge Audio a640 amp on Thursday. Last night we hooked it up to the system and fired it up.

The new amp sounds even worse than the Technics he replaced. tinny, boxy and lacking in depth are what he used to describe the sound quality. That amp (along with the phono stage) has now gone back to RS and he's got a refund.

We are now looking for some recommendations on what to use to replace the Technics (and possibly the speakers).

These will be hooked into:

a HDD MP3 Jukebox.
Yamaha dual deck CD recorder. (used with a Technics graphic equaliser).
Sony Tuner
Technics SL1200 deck. Therefore amp needs phono stage (or decent external stage)
PC (with Soundblaster Audigy Platinum Pro soundcard).

Budget is around £300 for an amplifier with a phono stage. Speakers aren't really an option at the moment.

Many thanks for any information!

Collin

Replace the Bose speakers first. These are very definitely the weak link and will be contributing to the woolly sound you describe. Probably something to do with the 2" cone tweeters.................. :eek:

Adam.

Adam

Many thanks for your reply, I'll let him know. Any recommendations for manufacturers we should be looking at? He would prefer bookshelf size as they are currently on the wall (yeah, I know....) rather than floor standers.

Thanks!

Epos ELS3 or Mordaunt Short 902

Remember the AMP needs to be run in...

My A5 sounded just like you describe for about six months (dunno how many hours) before gradually ... err.. sounding good.

I know because I had to get it changed and the new one sounded so different from the one I'd taken back.

A marantz PM7200 is an AMP i would consider while BOSE 301 are not to everyones taste they are not that bad as speakers are wall mounted etc see if a local sevenoaks will let you take a demo unit home for 48hours (need to leave a deposit etc) also a demo unit should be run in well enough to give a representative performance......

Thanks guys. I've sent the thread link to my friend, so he can read your replies himself. :)

I also have a SU-A700 MK I amp. It sounds great with my B&W 601's speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom