Replacement for a Pionner VSX-LX70

nbat58

I am contemplating changing my current Pioneer VSX-LX70 and thought of either the Denon AVC X4700H or the AVC X6700H, I had also looked at the Onkyo RZ50 but not sure whether this will be available anytime soon in the UK.

Will the AVC X4700H be good enough replacement or do I need to stretch to the AVC X6700H, ideally these will be a close match to my Pioneer that in my ears hasn't got any colouration at all and sound pretty neutral.

gibbsy

Depends on how many and what speakers you have connected. The X6700 is the more powerful with better components and amps. I've had the X6500 now for a couple of years and apart from a mediocre stereo music performance it is very good with film and TV.

Michael7877

I know it's not one of your choices, but I recommend the 3700 unless you find your Pioneer is underpowered.

The only difference between the 3700 and the 4700 is 10 watts per channel and Auro 3D (a surround sound "enhancement" - gimmicky (at best) in my opinion, but some people love it.

Anyway, audiosciencereview has measured the 3700, 4700, and 6700, and their sound quality is, for practical purposes, identical.

I was debating between the 3700 and 4700 in July - the 3700 won and I don't regret choosing it. $800CAD for 10 more watts (an imperceptible increase in level) and Auro3d? No thanks. From what I've learned reading about Denon AVRs, the 10 extra watts per channel (which was measured with 2 channels), decreases as the number of channels increases. So the power difference is even smaller than it seems

A practical example: my 3700 drives a 5.2.4 system in a 13x18x8 foot room with 8 ohm speakers ranging 86-90db/w in efficiency, and it gets way more than loud enough, always sounds great. I've never heard it distort listening to music or watching a movie.

It has Audessy 32 room correction (the best version, like the 4700/6700/8500). It will set the levels of all your speakers, fix the peaks and troughs of their in-room frequency response (from speaker design or interference from their position in the room), and cross them over appropriately (according to their roll-off, so they don't bottom out when loud).

The 3700 is by far the best value, and in most cases, you're not sacrificing anything from choosing it instead of a higher model. In your case, if the 3700 happens to not be powerful enough, the 4700 won't be either. So if you have an absolutely massive room with really high ceilings, or you have very inefficient speakers, or both, you can always return the 3700 and get the 6700 or 8500 instead.
But you shouldn't start with them. Only if you want one of their features that the 3700 doesn't have - 11 or 13 channels of amplification, for example). Even if the 3700 isn't loud enough, your best option is probably still the 3700 with separate amps for the front and center speakers (that's a conversation itself - a bridge to cross if you get there. If.

I have a feeling the 3700 will do nicely for you though, and you can use the extra $800-$1500 you'll save from not buying the 4700/6700 to buy something that'll actually improve your movie/tv/music experience. Four nice height speakers, upgraded fronts, a second subwoofer, room treatment for reflections, a few streaming subscriptions for 3-5 years - whatever you like :D. You could even send some to me as a thank you for saving you so much money! : p

Last edited:

nbat58

I have an old set of 5.1 Canton Movie CD150 and the punch higher than their size suggest.

I will be swapping them at some point for probably 5.1 or 7.1 monitor Audios.

My lounge is 6m x 5.5m and the Pioneer Amp works pretty well in this room size, it is rated at 180 watts.

I am just nervous that the 3700 nor the 4700 will be powerful enough for my room, I won't be using it for music as I have a separate NAD Amp for that.

The other thing that I'm worried about is the heat the Denon I have heard generate, my Pioneer run as cool as a cucumber.

DaveWillo

I replaced my LX70 with a Marantz SR8015 this May. Even though its supposed to be less powerful, it has a bigger, more detailed sound, with terrific effects steering. I'm no expert, but that's how it sounds to me 😀

nbat58

I have been looking at the Marantz SR8015 also, the thing that put me off the SR8015 is the porter hole where I won't be able to read the display from where I sit.

I have also heard that the Marantz have got their own coloured sound, how do you find the sound quality and clarity in comparison to the LX70?

DaveWillo

I have been looking at the Marantz SR8015 also, the thing that put me off the SR8015 is the porter hole where I won't be able to read the display from where I sit.

I have also heard that the Marantz have got their own coloured sound, how do you find the sound quality and clarity in comparison to the LX70?
You can use the mobile app to check what would normally be visible in the porthole (source/volume).
I do notice more clarity in the SR8015, probably a mixture of better hardware, plus Audyssey is far better than MCACC.

nbat58

I have also seen a Denon X6500H a 2018 model, obviously this does not support HDMI 2.1 nor 8K, so this model may be just the ticket for me seeing I don't use the AVC for gaming or listening to music.

Any thoughts...

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom