Replacement for 9V power from Sky RF2

Slider09

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Currently I use the RF2 output on my Sky HD box to feed a global F140 amp / splitter which sends the Sky and Freeview to 3 other TV’s in the house. The RF2 output on the sky box provides the power for F140 amp in the loft.

I am upgrading to Sky Q which has no RF2 output. Is there such a device / splitter that has an aerial input with two outputs (one to my main tv, the other will feed the F140 so it can send freeview to the other 3 tv’s) AND is powered so it will send 9V up one of the cables to power the F140?

My only other solution is to put a plug socket in the loft and buy a psu for the F140.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Ask the mods to move this to the relevant Sky Digital TV section on the forum.

You need a DC inserter to use a psu (12V is the standard Global psu voltage) via the coax cable to loft.

Possible to d-i-y one Make a DC inserter
NB Satcure no longer trades so you'll have to buy bits elsewhere.

You'll need to run another cable back from loft for main TV or split before sending up... Passive splitting will lose 4dB of signal which may not be an issue. But the old $ky box has a low gain amplifier inside it.

There's no ready made box for this that I know about.

So annoying when people ask the same question on umpteen different forums!

Post error

Not really but mainly for the poor person asking and getting duff info from that other site. ;)

The Proception PSU suggested will NOT be able to do what is wanted. I had a Televes PSU that had two outs and immediately thought it would work except.....

Now although neither out from the PSU/splitter will have DC on to get shorted by a TV aerial input socket, only the 'aerial in' to feed a masthead will have that (due to the inductive splitter) ... that 'aerial in' is the one that needs to feed up to the loft box so that it is fed the 12V power.

The aerial feed into the room can go into either 'out' of such a splitter-psu to feed up to loft but then the other 'out' will have zero RF coming out for the downstairs TV.

It needs to be:

TV aerial -> 2 way splitter -> o/p1 -> TV in lounge
o/p 2-> 12Vpsu 'TV out' -> 12V psu 'aerial in' -> Return cable to loft box.

Thus any 1 way amp will be fine.

Or the proper kit from Global via CPC at fairly sensible prices https://cpc.farnell.com/global-communications/dci-g/tvlink-booster-dc-inserter/dp/SE00360 and https://cpc.farnell.com/global-communications/tvlink-12v-psu/psu-tvlink-booster-12v/dp/SE00361 Plus a metal screened inductive splitter such as this one from Triax https://cpc.farnell.com/triax/338365/female-outsplitter/dp/AP00090

Ask the mods to move this to the relevant Sky Digital TV section on the forum.

it’s not a Sky Digital question? It’s regarding distributing the freeview signal

Hi all

Currently I use the RF2 output on my Sky HD box to feed a global F140 amp / splitter which sends the Sky and Freeview to 3 other TV’s in the house. The RF2 output on the sky box provides the power for F140 amp in the loft.

I am upgrading to Sky Q which has no RF2 output. Is there such a device / splitter that has an aerial input with two outputs (one to my main tv, the other will feed the F140 so it can send freeview to the other 3 tv’s) AND is powered so it will send 9V up one of the cables to power the F140?

My only other solution is to put a plug socket in the loft and buy a psu for the F140.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

it’s not a Sky Digital question? It’s regarding distributing the freeview signal
[/QUOTE

Four Sky references though, including distributing Sky!

Two forums to get a broader opinion. Why does this upset you so much ?

Four Sky references though, including distributing Sky!
Maybe you should re-read my post. I am asking about distributing freeview to 3 other tv’s.

Thank you for the detailed answer. I think I will go with the above, but I already have one of these splitters.

So if I understand it correctly. The aerial feed will go to the IN of the splitter. One of the outputs from the splitter will go to my TV, the other going to the above DC inserter. The output from the inserter will go back up into the loft to the Global F140 (which should now have power due to the inserter).

Correct.
You will, of course need adapters to the F-plugs of the splitter from your current Belling Lee TV leads. (F-plugs are the modern standard connection, of course.) Adapters could work out more than buying the Triax style splitter but if you have the bits to d-i-y adapter cables it's good.
Also note that the single output Proception psu from Toolstation (or any similar masthead amp psu) could be used and will be considerably cheaper than the Global two-box solution. Out would connect to a splitter and in to the loft cable F140. You may need 'barrel joiners' to change cable Belling-Lee plug genders though?

The only possible downside could be a lack of signal via a splitter (due to the 4dB loss). Use the TV signal level/quality meter to test that: aerial direct in and aerial via splitter to it. If any channels start to break up due to low signal levels, then you may need a complete re-design: a set-back amplifier-splitter and replace the loft box with passive splitter being one possible.

Just out of interest, what voltage is output from the Global F140 to each of its outputs (as this powers the ‘magic eyes’. Do the magic eyes filter the voltage before entering the TV? What would happen if the magic eyes were removed (no longer have need for these now), would the voltage coming down the coax from the F140 damage the TV?

No idea.
Likely to be the around the same voltage as input to it, less any volt drop due to the current drawn. So 9V if from $ky box and 12V if using the Global psu.

TV aerial input may appear as a short circuit to DC voltages, but the psu and outputs from the box will be short circuit protected. Alternatively it will have a DC blocking capacitor on the input (which passes RF ac waveforms). {Depends on the electrical design of the TV tuner.}
So there is no chance of damage to the TV or box.
Worst case is it can stop the magic eyes from working. Cable Decoupler

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom