Replacement for 65” 1080P screen

SimonsPlasma

Established Member
Reaction score
After many many years, it's time for us to get a 4K tv. Yea I know 8k is now a thing and etc etc, but we've just redone the home theatre room and I have a new 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos setup and a new amplifier and it seems time to move. So...

Here is the main gear that will be used with the TV:

- Yamaha RX-A880 Amplifier
- Virgin V+ box
- Polish Satellite TV box (4k capable)
- Apple TV 4k
- Panasonic DMRBWT850EB BluRay Recorder/Freeview

We don't tend to watch much "television", but we do binge-watch series every now and again. Most of our watching, however, is movies -- we have a collection of favourites on DVD and BluRay plus movies in digital format and we subscribe to Netflix, Prime Video, Apple TV (well it's currently free so why not) alongside the Virgin top package (probably going to drop this as it's rarely used). We have the fastest Virgin broadband package available in the area, 350Mbps, and 4K video streams well to my computer so I'm assuming it will stream well to the TV. There will also likely be one of the new XBoxes connected after Christmas if the kids behave themselves (although they currently have XBox One's in their own rooms and may prefer to keep playing there).

Current TV is a 65" LG with 1080P resolution; this will be moved to the back room to replace an old 50" plasma (which is in turn going to my eldest son's room for his xbox to replace an old 32" LCD which is going to my younger son's room to replace a 21" monitor that is only just working -- we downcycle a lot here!).

The TV room is 3.7m x 4m, with the TV on one 4m wall and a sofa opposite it; viewing distance to the centre seat on the sofa (MY seat!) is about 3.3m or so. The room has a large window on one side which has blackout blinds fitted.

So, I'm looking for a new TV. In an ideal world, my new TV would be larger than the existing 65" screen; yes I know that the numbers say that in theory any bigger would be "too big" but I like the theatre idea. In the same ideal world, my new TV would also be an OLED with the absolutely gorgeous pictures that you see on them; even my wife can tell the difference (recently we were in Costco and she said "oh wow that TV has a much better picture than all the others doesn't it", that was the only OLED on display -- yeah that's in a bright shop in bad conditions etc but I loved that she was able to see it). In fact, I'm pretty sure that my ideal world new TV would be the lovely LG OLED77CX6LA -- if it wasn't for that fact the it costs £3.5k which is somewhat more than I want to spend right now.

My budget is "around £1000". Ok I can probably push that up to perhaps £1500 or a little past that, if I claim a part of it as my Christmas present -- which I'll selflessly do to benefit the entire family (I'm a saint, really I am).

So, here's the debate. Do I:

1. Get the least expensive TV that's larger and "good enough", being a good boy. Costco have a 75" Samsung UE75TU7100KXXU for £779.99, which is a hell of a good price. Bonus: I'll probably be able to spend the remainder of the budget topping up my Christmas present (which then will be astrophotography gear, yaay).

2. Get the best quality larger TV that I can afford, even when pushing the budget out. Costco have the 75" Sony KD75XH9005BU for £1529.99, and it looks like a hell of a TV.

3. Stick with the size I currently have and get the only 65" OLED TV that may be within my budget. Costco have the 65" LG OLED65BX6LB for £1499.99. In fact this is the on the Mrs noticed in store, which is why it even became an option for me (I didn't realise that OLEDs have gone down to that price).

4. Something else? What solutions do you have!

This is actually a REALLY tough decision at the moment, so any and all advice would be welcome!

Many thanks,

-simon

The other option I guess would be to put in the biggest TV I can. Perhaps I could stretch to an 85” or so...is that just insane?

Also I’m not necessarily fixed on Costco to purchase — they just happened to be where we were this morning and have a reputation for dealing well with warranty issues (although I’ve never tested that with big electronics).

I think that you will be disappointed if you buy a cheap&large TV: they will be poor at HDR, not very bright and generally pants.

3m means you need a big tv: check out @Dodgexander guides but pretty sure even 85” wouldn’t be too big.

And given that you will probably have this new large tv for many years = well worth getting a good one and that will last.

xH9005 is a “good value half decent tv”: not quite bright enough for proper HDR (so there could be problems), but is of course cheap(ish).

But the XH9505 would worth Looking at: £2k from John Lewis at the moment. Appreciate it is over your budget.....but if you can stretch, then you will have a fab tv and cracking too.

If I had a living room big enough for a 75”, then I would seriously be looking at the XH9505. But I would be closer than 3.3m: so you may not benefit as much from a high end tv (I am sure others will comment/advise)

as for who to buy from, John Lewis or RicherSounds are the best by far: warranty and service.

if you can wait till spring, then that is when 2020 TVs will be at their cheapest: could save a few hundred, although you have to be ready/move quick.

Yea I know 8k is now a thing....

It really isn't.

There's no content bar the odd thing on youtube.
At the kind of seating distance for the average household you won't notice the difference in resolution over 4K, you'd need to sit on top of the screen.

It's pointless unless it offers newer technologies over 4K, like HDR and WGC that 4K brought. Even 4K, purely from a resolution perspective is barely noticeable over 1080p for the distance many sit, it's the extra advantages you notice.

I think that you will be disappointed if you buy a cheap&large TV: they will be poor at HDR, not very bright and generally pants.

3m means you need a big tv: check out @Dodgexander guides but pretty sure even 85” wouldn’t be too big.

And given that you will probably have this new large tv for many years = well worth getting a good one and that will last.

xH9005 is a “good value half decent tv”: not quite bright enough for proper HDR (so there could be problems), but is of course cheap(ish).

But the XH9505 would worth Looking at: £2k from John Lewis at the moment. Appreciate it is over your budget.....but if you can stretch, then you will have a fab tv and cracking too.

If I had a living room big enough for a 75”, then I would seriously be looking at the XH9505. But I would be closer than 3.3m: so you may not benefit as much from a high end tv (I am sure others will comment/advise)

as for who to buy from, John Lewis or RicherSounds are the best by far: warranty and service.

if you can wait till spring, then that is when 2020 TVs will be at their cheapest: could save a few hundred, although you have to be ready/move quick.
Thank you. Question: do you include the LG 65" OLED in your definition of "cheap and large"? That was the height of my "highest quality that I can afford"...

It really isn't.

There's no content bar the odd thing on youtube.
At the kind of seating distance for the average household you won't notice the difference in resolution over 4K, you'd need to sit on top of the screen.

It's pointless unless it offers newer technologies over 4K, like HDR and WGC that 4K brought. Even 4K, purely from a resolution perspective is barely noticeable over 1080p for the distance many sit, it's the extra advantages you notice.
Fair enough, glad I'm not jumping on the 8K bandwagon then! :)

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to see the difference of 4K over 1080P though -- because I can still see pixels when sitting in one of the less fortunate seats closer to the telly, and I'm hoping that I won't be able to with 4K :p

Thank you. Question: do you include the LG 65" OLED in your definition of "cheap and large"? That was the height of my "highest quality that I can afford"...
The BX/CX are very good tvs, but given your viewing distance I think 65” is just too small. If you can get to a shop (when they open), trying standing 3.3m back from CX/BX (or another OLED) and see what you think.

hank you. Question: do you include the LG 65" OLED in your definition of "cheap and large"?

LG OLED doesn't fit that definition and it varies price wise according to size.

65" - Pretty much anything under £1000 isn't up to scratch and good HDR starts at £1250+
75" - " " " £1500 " " " " £2000+
85" - " " " £2250 " " " " £3000+

That's for LCD, OLED costs more.

You should have a good read of this and look at the links in the first post. If you don't have 4K HDR sources and have no plans to upgrade to them you can spend less, however, watching 4K content on a poor TV can look a lot worse than HD material on an average TV.

LG OLED doesn't fit that definition and it varies price wise according to size.

65" - Pretty much anything under £1000 isn't up to scratch and good HDR starts at £1250+
75" - " " " £1500 " " " " £2000+
85" - " " " £2250 " " " " £3000+

That's for LCD, OLED costs more.

You should have a good read of this and look at the links in the first post.
I have been scouring the links in the first post avidly, and trying to understand what advice is out there.

The LG OLED BX actually seems to be strongly recommended for 65” —
  1. LG 65BX - Make no mistake, this may be the cheapest OLED but its picture quality in most instances is just as good as TVs costing twice as much money. 2x HDMI v2.1 ports. Dolby Vision support
(From **New** My best value TVs, 2020-2021 Edition). Seems like a good deal for £1500? Only question is if 65” is still too small...

I would say 65” is too small for you. This handy guide:

Shows at 3.3m, you need 75” to benefit from UHD and that is close too.

This is always subjective: can you get to a shop to see what 65”/75”/85” looks like at 3.3m?

I would say 65” is too small for you. This handy guide:

Shows at 3.3m, you need 75” to benefit from UHD and that is close too.

This is always subjective: can you get to a shop to see what 65”/75”/85” looks like at 3.3m?
I will head back to Costco on Saturday or Monday and take a look with a tape measure to see :)

I'm sorry to say it but 1000 isn't going to buy you much nowadays. its fine if you don't want to use HDR, but its increasingly harder and harder to recommend TVs for non-HDR use nowadays when in many circumstances its impossible to avoid it.

The best you'll find is the Hisense U8Q at 65". Its an ample HDR performer, does make some sacrifices in some areas compared to more expensive TVs, but its worth it.

The Sony 65XH9005 is also a popular compromise, its more expensive than the Hisense and as mentioned above doesn't really get very bright which is crucial for HDR.

These are both mentioned in my guide:

I'm sorry to say it but 1000 isn't going to buy you much nowadays. its fine if you don't want to use HDR, but its increasingly harder and harder to recommend TVs for non-HDR use nowadays when in many circumstances its impossible to avoid it.

The best you'll find is the Hisense U8Q at 65". Its an ample HDR performer, does make some sacrifices in some areas compared to more expensive TVs, but its worth it.

The Sony 65XH9005 is also a popular compromise, its more expensive than the Hisense and as mentioned above doesn't really get very bright which is crucial for HDR.

These are both mentioned in my guide:
Agreed, that’s why I am going to stretch to £1500 or so. Your thread is great, and its recommendation of the LG65BX is where I am at right now.

I think my question has distilled itself down to: for £1500, do I get the 65” OLED or a larger non-OLED TV...

This thread is now moot :). I decided that if we're going to buy a new TV, we'll invest in something that will hopefully give us excellent performance for many years to come (and if I consider the price broken down over say 10 years it's not actually that much).

@Dodgexander described the LG CX as
LG 77CX - The best all round OLED. 4x HDMI 2.1 ports. Dolby Vision support. Dolby Vision support.

I managed to get Richer Sounds to price-match box.co.uk and knock a further £50 off, which means we're paying £3349 for a top end 77" OLED, with a 6 year warranty included -- I figure we can't go wrong with that!

Thank you everyone for your comments, which definitely helped me see that I shouldn't compromise between size and quality. I think and hope that I'm making the right choice! :cool:
1606476833713.png

Good TV, good price. Not quite in the "around £1000" bracket you started off in though!😲
Hah no, nowhere near! But the wife and I decided that this was going to be our mutual Christmas present to each other. She's a hospital doctor and has had a truly horrible year at work, she'll be working over Christmas itself but will hopefully have two weeks off after that, and frankly she deserves some decent downtime so I'm going to get in a tonne of soppy romantic Christmas movies (I'm sure that Netflix will oblige) that we can watch together on the big screen and forget about the world outside :)

Now swapped to John Lewis, because Richer Sounds told me that they don’t know when stock will be in, and I can get the extra insurance from JL that covers burn in if it happens. Price match isn’t quite as good (£3399 rather than £3349) but have a confirmed delivery date. We’ve also gone for their wall hanging option because the wife suggested it may be safer (bear in mind I hung the previous 65” tv which was much heavier and it was fine for years but hey!).

Absolutely love the fact you went from maybe bigger than 65” at £1k budget to 77” OLED £3.5k...! :D

sounds like a great decision for you both, and richly deserved too. Enjoy those RomComs.....:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom