1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement for 37PV500

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Ipmack, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Ipmack

Ipmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you are alll thinking...

Why would I want to replace such a screen.
    Well I was really happy with it (only commenting to the wife the other day that it was a great TV. Excellent picture / colours, fantastic sound etc.)

Yes it had its problems as reported by many of you in this forum. When viewing critically (using blocks of colour on a laptop) you could see the contrast difference between the 2 halves of the screen. However, there was no buzz. I had managed to avoid screen burn, and apart from a really sluggish remote control response and fiddly way to change external inputs was loving it.

However it has developed a problem that I cannot overlook.

It's been nicked!! Some filthy tea-leaf broke in (through a metal skinned door) and carried my TV off (along with the remote control for my DVD player - the swines + HDMI leads + apple miniDVI-DVI lead + an 5yr old laptop +a bottle of pop!).

So need a replacement. Should I get the same again (although difficult to source apparently). Should I persuade the wife that we "need" a 42" (!). Or wait until the insurance cough up and re-evaluate the state of play then.

Are there any cracking TV's about to be released for similar money??

Grateful for your thoughts....

By the way, where do you go to flog such a screen. Its not like you can just have it in the pub with you under the table is it?

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,625
    What sort of pop was it? It say some cherryade on ebay last night. :rotfl:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I don't think there is much choice for a decent 37" screen at the mo, you will have more choice if you go for 42", the. Samsungs seem popular for the money.
    If I got mine nicked I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of shopping around again and would get the same screen. You may even get one without the horizontal line this time. Be aware that the tea leafs will probably be aware that you will get a replacement on the insurance. It may be time to buy/use a decent alarm system.
    I would like to see how long it took them to try and get my 42" off the wall and disconnect it all, that's a good excuse for the 42", it would be harder to nick due to its bulk.

3. Ipmack

Ipmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

Pleased to say it wasn't cherry flavoured. Although if anyone is offered a bottle of dandelion and burdock, let me know!

Seriously, we do have an alarm. And the burglars knew exactly what they had come for and how to remove it. Don't think that wall mounting will be much of a deterrent - you should see what they did to my back door - a very secure installation I am told!

Only thing is that the burglary was directed at the panny. Not many people knew we had one. We live opposite a busy building site main entrance on a quiet estate with no through traffic. Kind of makes you think that it is either someone who lives close, or someone who knew that I had bought one from a certain shop near sheffield (great service when I bought it by the way).

Not sure if I should mention that last bit so deliberately tried to be vague.

4. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,625
    I would probably wait till the insurance has coughed up, it may take a few weeks, you never know, the prices may have dropped a bit for the 42" then and we may see how good the 436 is.

5. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Sorry about your loss, if there are 2 things I hate in this world, they are thieves and liars.

If you dont mind me asking - didn't your alarm activate? If walking past the house, could you see the TV from the main road? Was it visible from the front/the back of the house? Do you have curtains/nets etc? Finally, where were you when it happened?

6. Ipmack

Ipmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, alarm didn't activate (leave it off so the cat won't set it off all the time.... a policy that is hastily being changed I might add)

We live in a quiet cul de sac, there is no through road, and its actually a building site with security and on going work. You couldn't see the TV from the road, but i guess that you could see the light in the evening. We have blinds that partially obscure vision, and have a lawn (about 1 cars length) between us and the road / pavement.

And as it occurred between 0830 and 1600, I was in work!

Never mind, it was only a possession that can be replaced. Interesting to see the prices that the main players are charging for these screens though. I know its a hell of a lot cheaper on currys on line, but any ideas for an additional warranty (are they worth it etc?)

7. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Depending on the insurance company you may actually get a replacement from them via Currys or Comet rather than a monetary amount so I would wait until you've sorted it out with them first. Obviously you'll get goods to the value of your old PV500.

8. SteveG

SteveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    You might want to consider changing the interior sensors to pet-friendly ones. It's a bit late now but at least you'll be able to keep it on in the future. I wonder if they knew your alarm system wasn't on?

Go and check the building site to see if they are all watching a plasma in the portakabin..

9. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Does the cat have to have access to the living room (or wherever you have the plasma)? Most decent alarm systems allow you to activate certain sections of the house so you could activate all of the door sensors and only specific rooms, see if you can get it rigged up to a robot with a baseball bat or something to beat anyone who tries to jack your stuff again.

You could wait it out I suppose (or use your credit card :thumbsup:) and grab a nice mahusive pioneer plasma if possible, but I would probably pick up another PV500 myself, maybe treat myself to the 42" version to help get over the shock, that is if i could find one in stock anywhere...

10. Ipmack

Ipmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got off the phone to the insurance peeps. And apparently they "have their own suppliers".
    Shame, could have picked up a 42" qiute easily (having just persuaded the wife that that was the best course of action considering no 37" in stock anywhere!).

I'm interested to see how they replace the DVI-HDMI cable, and what with!

Oh yeah, and the builders haven't got a nice plasma (even been checking ebay and the local forum). Kinda interested to see how much they get for it and hope it goes to a good home (where they don't leave CBeebies on all day for screen burn)

On a different note - local comet had 436 and PV500 side by side. Must say that pic was better (sharper) on the PV (probably still on dynamic) but less artefact. Colours similar - but I think I preferred the PV. Note not an exhaustive test and only for 30 secs or so both using the same source material (looped rubbish).

11. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Which insurance co. do you you use. You may find that when they say they have their "own suppliers" this usually means they go through people like Comet as with mine or even Empire Direct gets used by some. Either way when the supplier makes contact you may get the option to choose a different model if you like.

12. Ipmack

Ipmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wife managed to get cheapish insurance through paymentshield (never heard of them previously).

Seem OK on the phone, but lets see how long they can drag this saga out!

13. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Normally I find that a quick glance is usually the best, if you have to sit and study the picture quality then they cant be too different, but if one specifically looks better its worth taking an interest in.

And from what I know the screens are left in dynamic mode for the store to look more appealing, either way though, the panny's rock :)

14. Ipmack

Ipmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also they have stated that they will provide a 5 year warranty ( which I got thrown in for free - although maybe the shop knew I wouldn't have it for 5 yrs so its not a problem).

Can't believe how expensive those warranties are anway (approx £400 for 4 yrs). The panasonic shop said that their standard was 5yr anyway...

15. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :( "REALLY SORRY!"to hear that your tv got nicked mate TO**ERS!.But if you ask me id be looking a bit closer to home pal ie:THE CAT :devil: !very sneeky and very sly creatures are those cats.If he's started stopping out all night id be asking questions,hes got the money from somewhere and if hes coming across all quiet that will be the guilt kicking in.I saw one being chased down the street the other day it must have been caught in the act of doing the local dogs house over as it was the dog that was doing the chasing also ive heard people talking about those CAT BURGLARS!!.Beware you've been warned :smashin:

16. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what the fudge?

17. Ipmack

Ipmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know I hadn't even considered him!
    There again he might be in cahoots with the rat (yep got one). And you know how devious those dirty rats are...
    Come to think of it the cat is looking smug (or is it pi**ed off - they're hard to differentiate) and the rat has new food and bedding.... !!