Replacement Drive Units for B&W Speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Kish Kash, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Kish Kash

Kish Kash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After 8 years loyal service, one of the woofers in my DM601 S1 speakers has just failed (bloody Tag Mclaren test disc!!). Are replacement drive units available from B&W, or will I have to go buy a new pair of speakers?

The problem might be with the crossover of course, but I haven't tested this yet. I won't bother if replacements aren't available.

They've been driven very hard all their life, but I thought they would last around 12 years. Bit disappointed TBH :( .

KK

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Give them a ring....they normally are very helpful.

( 01903 ) 221800

Failing that,Wilmslow Audio may be helpful,but I'd be surprised if B&W can't.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    How's the speaker "failed"? I'd be surprised if it was the crossover unless they used some weird capacitor.

Either way, repairing should be a simple DIY job if you can get the past. Simply remove the old component and solder on the new one. It's easier than it sounds!

4. Kish Kash

Kish Kash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    B&W were very quick to respond (5 mins via e-mail). They simply directed me to my local dealer. I'll give him a call soon (especially as the bloody power amp he sold me last month did the damage!!)

Eviljohn, I understand crossovers don't fail very often but was merely pointing out that I hadn't tested that particular component yet. I have removed the driver in question and will be able to slot a new one in fairly easily - the contacts weren't soldered thank god.

Also, should I replace both woofers at the same time for better integration with each other? Given that the other woofer is 8 years old, a new unit might sound a little "sharp" by comparison. Any thoughts on this?