Replacement Drive Units for B&W Speakers?

K

Kish Kash

After 8 years loyal service, one of the woofers in my DM601 S1 speakers has just failed (bloody Tag Mclaren test disc!!). Are replacement drive units available from B&W, or will I have to go buy a new pair of speakers?

The problem might be with the crossover of course, but I haven't tested this yet. I won't bother if replacements aren't available.

They've been driven very hard all their life, but I thought they would last around 12 years. Bit disappointed TBH :( .

KK

Give them a ring....they normally are very helpful.

( 01903 ) 221800

Failing that,Wilmslow Audio may be helpful,but I'd be surprised if B&W can't.

How's the speaker "failed"? I'd be surprised if it was the crossover unless they used some weird capacitor.

Either way, repairing should be a simple DIY job if you can get the past. Simply remove the old component and solder on the new one. It's easier than it sounds!

B&W were very quick to respond (5 mins via e-mail). They simply directed me to my local dealer. I'll give him a call soon (especially as the bloody power amp he sold me last month did the damage!!)

Eviljohn, I understand crossovers don't fail very often but was merely pointing out that I hadn't tested that particular component yet. I have removed the driver in question and will be able to slot a new one in fairly easily - the contacts weren't soldered thank god.

Also, should I replace both woofers at the same time for better integration with each other? Given that the other woofer is 8 years old, a new unit might sound a little "sharp" by comparison. Any thoughts on this?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom