Replacement double glazed glass tight fit

The old unit got water in and had to be replaced was very tight in opposite corners (top right/bottom left) when I took it out so I think the frame may have shifted slightly. When I gave the measurement to the suppliers where I was having the glass made I shaved about 5cm off the sides but it seems the tolerance they allow have took my glass back to really tight and I cant get it in without some sort of force. Is there any recommendations to help me sit this properly? Can use some wood and hammer on the side to bang it in or is there a tool I can use to help me force it in? Any tips please?

StefanBFC

Do you have any images? I'm guessing this is PVC?
When you say right in the corners, do you mean it's hard to get the beads back in?

It is PVC ad its not the beads, the glass is a tight fit in the 2 corners. I can force one corner in but the other isn't going all the way in.

StefanBFC

Really unusual that it's just two corners, is it a door, or a side opening window? If so, it may have been toe and heeled and the glazing packers are stuck in the sash/frame still.
If it's only the corners, the frame must be really out of square. Get some images I'll have a look.

You are right its cm, its a conservatory glass about the height of a door and twice as wide and its right next to a door which might have helped its moving.

StefanBFC

You are right its cm, its a conservatory glass about the height of a door and twice as wide and its right next to a door which might have helped its moving.

Get a tape measure and measure the opening, measure it diagonally from corner to corner.

Get a tape measure and measure the opening, measure it diagonally from corner to corner.
Thanks. I must say this isn't the first window I have replaced but the first time I have had this issue. So that I am not to-ing and fro-ing with messages on here, after I have measured it what processes am I to follow to get this glass in?

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member

I said mm though but you just agreed cm.

You might need to talk the door off so it it gives you more flex and then use wedges to get the glass in.

StefanBFC

Thanks. I must say this isn't the first window I have replaced but the first time I have had this issue. So that I am not to-ing and fro-ing with messages on here, after I have measured it what processes am I to follow to get this glass in?

You need to first measure the opening, then measure the glass to actually make sure it will fit. The weak spots on the glass units are the corners, slight bang on them and they are gone!
Ideally you measure the opening and take off 8mm that gives you the glass size.

Your going to really struggle if it's so tight, if the glass has tape around it, take this off, it's only for safety.

There is probably a small pip/upstand in the centre of the frame, you can take this out with a chisel, it's only a drip bar, it doesn't affect anything, then you'll need a glazing shovel to edge it in, a little at a time as opposed to putting a full corner unit right up against the gasket, you need to slightly like 'wobble' it in. Pictures will be ideal really and sizes.

I said mm though but you just agreed cm.

You might need to talk the door off so it it gives you more flex and then use wedges to get the glass in.
Sorry, again you are correct and it is mm. lol

You need to first measure the opening, then measure the glass to actually make sure it will fit. The weak spots on the glass units are the corners, slight bang on them and they are gone!
Ideally you measure the opening and take off 8mm that gives you the glass size.

Your going to really struggle if it's so tight, if the glass has tape around it, take this off, it's only for safety.

There is probably a small pip/upstand in the centre of the frame, you can take this out with a chisel, it's only a drip bar, it doesn't affect anything, then you'll need a glazing shovel to edge it in, a little at a time as opposed to putting a full corner unit right up against the gasket, you need to slightly like 'wobble' it in. Pictures will be ideal really and sizes.

Thanks and your right about the tape for safety, I was surprised we got cuts from handling this but it is a relatively large piece and is proving awkward. The frame is definitely out of shape slightly as the old glass was very awkward and took some wobbling to get out, I thought we were going to have to break it to get it out. I really wish I had taken more off the measurement now but thought the 5mm would make it easier. Thanks for letting me know the corners are weaker, I was considering banging it a bit more than I had been. We were thrilled to get one corner all the way in and are having difficulty with the other, I think you must be right about not forcing one all the way in without working the other. I'm going to look out for a glazing shovel to help.

StefanBFC

Thanks and your right about the tape for safety, I was surprised we got cuts from handling this but it is a relatively large piece and is proving awkward. The frame is definitely out of shape slightly as the old glass was very awkward and took some wobbling to get out, I thought we were going to have to break it to get it out. I really wish I had taken more off the measurement now but thought the 5mm would make it easier. Thanks for letting me know the corners are weaker, I was considering banging it a bit more than I had been. We were thrilled to get one corner all the way in and are having difficulty with the other, I think you must be right about not forcing one all the way in without working the other. I'm going to look out for a glazing shovel to help.

Let us know how you get on.

Amazon product

Finished the job yesterday. We pulled the glass out and scraped and sanded the frame sides where it was sticking, put some lard on the frame and the glass edge then tried to put it back in. I started to force the bottom left which was the troublesome side and peered through the glass to see one of the spacers causing the problem. Pulled the glass out again and rested it so I could feel for the spacer which has become stuck like glue on the bottom of the glass. The spacer has groves running perpendicular and was also stuck perpendicular so when in the frame was holding the glass back from going in all the way. I unstuck the spacer and repositioned it and the glass went in with a little force. Thanks for advising

StefanBFC

Finished the job yesterday. We pulled the glass out and scraped and sanded the frame sides where it was sticking, put some lard on the frame and the glass edge then tried to put it back in. I started to force the bottom left which was the troublesome side and peered through the glass to see one of the spacers causing the problem. Pulled the glass out again and rested it so I could feel for the spacer which has become stuck like glue on the bottom of the glass. The spacer has groves running perpendicular and was also stuck perpendicular so when in the frame was holding the glass back from going in all the way. I unstuck the spacer and repositioned it and the glass went in with a little force. Thanks for advising

Least it's done now pal. 👍🏻

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom