1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement Display Bulbs - CD20R

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by asha_bristol, Sep 18, 2005.

1. asha_bristol

asha_bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been meaning to ask this question for ages but just haven't got around to it!

It appears that one of the three bulbs on my CD20R has died as one side of the display is very dark. Why this should happen on a unit that is only 9 months old is a little puzzling. I know the unit is technically still under warranty, but surely it isn't worth paying £££'s to send it off to Tag to be fixed for what would appear to be a cheap diy repair job?

Anyway, I knew from the design of the display that bulbs would need to be replaced from peiodically (but expected a longer working life than 9 months!) so my questions on this subject are basically as follows:-

1) What bulbs do they use? Can they be easily sourced from somewhere like Maplins? Should I replace all three bulbs at the same time?

2) How much of a job is it to replace them? Are they easily accessible. Do they need to be soldered?

3) Has anyone come up with a better option solution to the problem thus negating the need to keep replacing bulbs?

I'm sure many of you out there have had to fix this problem on your own Tag players so therefore any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. eisenach

eisenach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Ah, this was an on-going problem on my Audiolab 8000CD!
    I got some replacement bulbs from a chap on e-bay. He's often there, though it may take some patience to track him down. Sorry, can't remember his "name". They're a standard sort of small solder-on bulb, though.
    Fitting the bulbs is a solder job, and once you've worked out how to get at the board carrying the bulbs, quite straightforward. You get at the pcb with bulbs on from underneath, i.e. with the machine upside down (unless TAG changed the layout).
    In my experience, it didn't take long for them to blow again. I always waited until I was down to just one working bulb, and then replaced all 3. I had to do it twice.
    Good luck!

3. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
  4. MartinFXDX

MartinFXDX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

Be careful you don't invalidate your warranty by doing it yourself. An early laser failing on a newish unit has been report (although that prob wasn't right from day 1) and it would be a pity if........ :eek:

Prob just me being over cautious :boring:

5. real batman

real batman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i got a quote for the bulbs of iag and i think they were about £15 for the three ... not really worth arguing about is it ...