Replacement centre speaker advice

Justhe1

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have just had my new plasma mounted on the wall, above the fireplace (only place it could go) and I have had to have it mounted about 10cm above the mantel for comfortable viewing.

As a result I can no longer use my relatively new mxc tannoy centre speaker, which I'm gutted about, or even my smaller Mission M71i speaker that I currently use as centre rear.

All my other speakers are Mission M72's (front), Mission M70's (rear) and Kef PSW1000 sub. (all are beech/maple finish)

Can anyone please give me some advise on a small profile centre speaker that will match my existing units sound wise (The narrower and lower the better), the only other option is to sink a speaker into the new fire surround, but that may look a bit naff...

Stupid question, but does the centre speaker really need to be in the centre - ie if I sighted it adjascent to the fireplace would the panning be notably wrong??

I listen to music and watch DVD's - and no cannot afford to replace all my speakers!

Any help greatly appreciated.

J

Justhe1 said:
does the centre speaker really need to be in the centre - ie if I sighted it adjascent to the fireplace would the panning be notably wrong??

It is the centre speaker that locks the dialogue to the screen and if it's off centre the sound will also move with the speaker and speech won't seem to be coming from the mouth of whoever is talking

A Monitor Audio Radius R180 or a R225 would look superb mounted just under your plasma but i don't know how it would integrate with your other speakers.
You may have to replace your front three speakers to get it right but whatever you do place the center speaker where it should go and don't offset it.
Incidently i have a Kef Egg Mk2 center speaker i'm going to sell if your interested ?? it may solve your problems.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom