replacement central heating system

Wodewick

Standard Member
I am trying to get quotes for a new boiler system. I have 17 radiators, maybe 4 need upsizing. Due to the size of the house / number of radiators, I am told by some that a combi boiler will not do. Aside from 2 plumbers who did not bother to provide a quote, I am left with:

1) one quote for around £8000, to include a Vaillant echotech 606 boiler (which I understand is regarded as light industrial), together with a control panel (not from Vaillant, as their minimum for this boilder is prohibitively expensive), to be plumbed for 4 zones (upstairs, downstairs, hot water cylyinder, potential underfloor heating in very cold kitchen). Existing pipewirk and radiators to remain, save above.

2. another quote for: "Quote includes the removal of your old floor standing boiler and hot water cylinder and replacing them with a new high efficiency Glow-worm 35 kw condensing combination gas boiler giving 14.6 litre’s per minuite of hot water and comes with a full five year manufactures warranty.
Also included in the price is the upgrading of the controls of the system to give two separate heating zones being the 1,upstairs including kitchen area and 2, the rest of the downstairs areas. You will have full control over time and temperature of these two zones. I will also install a magnetic particle filter to protect the new boiler from contamination from black sludge which may be present in the existing system.
My price for this work including electrician is £ 2600.00 plus VAT.
Worcester Bosch manufacture a 42 kw boiler giving 17.2 litre’s of hot water if you would like this boiler please add an extra £370.00 to the price.
Having sized the existing radiators up I found that all but the bathroom(with the corner bath) to be just about large enough to heat the rooms, a new boiler may improve things.
However if you do want larger radiarors I have worked out for seven larger radiators for two bedrooms, one bathroom, lounge, and an extra radiator for the dining roomfitted with new valves my price for this work is £ 1293.00 plus VAT.Different prices can be given depending on which radiators you need to change.

I have done some research regarding the kitchen underfloor heating and as a rough guide for the materials it would be about £60.00 per square meter depending on what you require."

So it seems to me, that clearly one is cheaper; but would it (combi) work in my rather cold, large house. Should I go for the more expensive system, which has more control over zones ? In any event, it seems the underfloor heating is another matter altogether. ??

D

Deleted member 51156

Are you sure its a 606 and not a 656 or a 466..

Flimber

Distinguished Member
17 radiators ?!?!?! Can't you get the butler to fish around for quotes ?

Mike (7 but 1 redundant so let's go with 6).

Valiant is expensive, but good, Worcester Bosch is good. Have you tried to find a quote from the Worcester Bosch website?
Underfloor heating is expensive. Valiant and Worcester Bosch boilers are the ones to go with
Quote 2 sounds like he knows what he is talking about
Can you get this guy round to look at what he can do, the options, and the prices?
Ask him for links to satisfied customers

Wodewick

Standard Member
Thanks for the advice so far - though a butler may help to iron the written quotes ....

Still not sure of combi versus cylinder on this

D

Deleted member 51156

You mean the first guy has specced one of these.
ecoTEC | Vaillant

65 kw sounds rather large,if you put your house measurements into this, what size boiler does it recommend...
Replacement Boiler Size Calculator

How many hot water outlets do you have,bathrooms,cloakrooms,and how many people are living in the house..
Whats your water flow rate and pressure like and do you have a u6,g4 meter...How may other gas appliances do you have..

Wodewick

Standard Member
Layout / diameters:

http://content.zoopla.co.uk/65ce1ca8830c6f37452229c7c9ec474f0123edf7.gif

Hot water outlets= 2 baths, 2 power showers (power to come off if combi), 3 hand sinks, 2 kitchen sinks, 1 washing machine. Downstairs is particularly cold, due to wood or tiled floors (suspect without insulation) and large lounge and kitchen.

My summer heating and gas bill was £400 and my winter bill was £700, mainly due to an old, inefficent Mexico boiler

Flimber

Distinguished Member
General q: is there scope in such a case to go with two boilers, even split the heating in an upstairs/downstairs kind of way ?

D

Deleted member 51156

The 65 kw boiler is far too big,more like a 30 kw heat only boiler,although the rest of his spec is spot on,a cylinder and separate controls,pump etc will giving you more control and better hot water performance as long as your cold mains flowrate/pressure is upto the job..

Or alternatively the worcester 42 cdi combi will do it no problem...

Last edited by a moderator:

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
We've been quoted about £5,700 (inc VAT) for the removal of two old boilers, installation of two Worcester 30 CDi boilers and a low loss header, changing of the system to pressured, flushing and pipework etc.
I'd get more quotes. Ask the neighbours for recommendations.

D

Deleted member 51156

We've been quoted about £5,700 (inc VAT) for the removal of two old boilers, installation of two Worcester 30 CDi boilers and a low loss header, changing of the system to pressured, flushing and pipework etc.
I'd get more quotes. Ask the neighbours for recommendations.

I thought you were having a thermal store installed...

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
There was a guy over on the Screwfix Forums who was something of an expert on Thermal Stores. He used to have lengthy debates on them vs Unvnted Cylinders.

'Water systems' was his name. Worth a visit, in fact there's a fair few knowledgeable plumbers on there. Also try DIYnot.com.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom