Replacement CD player for Kenwood system

Kea

Standard Member
Reaction score
First off, I know nothing about audio systems except how to listen.

I have a Kenwood 49M hifi set-up approx 26 years old. The CD player has died and my local repairer thinks it is not worth repairing as it is probably the laser. I would be happy(ish) to buy another one, but the current one is connected to the amplifier with a plug-in ribbon connector (it does not have a separate power supply or any other connectors). Is this type of connection still available and, if not, what would be the alternative? I'm not in a position to go to the shops and look as Omicron has descended on us and it's too risky.

Welcome to the Forum.

To double check take a photograph of the back of the amp section. If they are indeed RCA connections, red and white being channel guides, then as mentioned most players can be connected via analogue cables.

The only issue I can see is if the input level and output level of the new player are too far apart but this some that can be addressed by using attenuators. This may be due to the age of the Kenwood.

Welcome to the Forum.

To double check take a photograph of the back of the amp section. If they are indeed RCA connections, red and white being channel guides, then as mentioned most players can be connected via analogue cables.

The only issue I can see is if the input level and output level of the new player are too far apart but this some that can be addressed by using attenuators. This may be due to the age of the Kenwood.
Thank you. I have attached photo. Needless to say, I don't know what attenuators are.

Attachments

• Hifi_resized.jpg
    Hifi_resized.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 49
The gain, or fix output, of a modern CD player may be higher than the recommended input for the Kenwood. This could lead to the volume being very high coming from the CDP and could cause distortion. An attenuator goes between the CDP and the Kenwood which will reduce that gain making for a more comfortable input value.

It's academic until your purchase your CDP and try with the Kenwood. Things may very well be fine but your photograph confirms that it is indeed a regular RCA connection between the two.

The gain, or fix output, of a modern CD player may be higher than the recommended input for the Kenwood. This could lead to the volume being very high coming from the CDP and could cause distortion. An attenuator goes between the CDP and the Kenwood which will reduce that gain making for a more comfortable input value.

It's academic until your purchase your CDP and try with the Kenwood. Things may very well be fine but your photograph confirms that it is indeed a regular RCA connection between the two.
My daughter found a spare DVD player which I now have. It's certainly a lot louder than the old CD player so your attenuator suggestion sounds a good one.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom