Replacement Camcorder

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by crol, Sep 21, 2007.

1. crol

crol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony Camcorder CCD-TRV46E Hi 8, which has finally given up the ghost. I was looking for a replacement and wondered which would do the equivalent job?

The one I have is 18x optical zoom (not bothered about digital) and steady shot. Other features I'm not too concerned with.

I use the camcorder for the usual events, Birthdays, holidays etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. gritstone

gritstone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A good start would be to get hold of a copy of the Argos catalogue!

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Do you have a budget in mind?

4. crol

crol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've looked in the Argos catalogue. So, is it best to go with mini DV, DVD or HDD and is the quality of picture a lot better on the modern camcorders as opposed to the Hi8?

5. crol

crol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Budget would be approx £400. But if I could get an equivalent to my old Camcorder, picture quality wise, then I would prefer to pay less.

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
  7. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Yes the picture is better... with the possible exception of low light performance. With analogue camcorders you can generally get a picture (though grainy) in very low light. With digital ones they reach a point where you just get darkness.

For quality, especially in your budget, miniDV is best. I'd avoid DVD for reasons which have been discussed here; some reports of problems when finalizing discs. HDD gives some convienence but you need to spend £400 up to get a good one.

8. crol

crol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So does this mean I could obtain an even cheaper model and still get the same quality in normal daylight as the Hi8?
    Also what sort of situation are you talking about when you loose quality with very low light; outside in the dark?

Thanks for your help so far

9. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    So does this mean I could obtain an even cheaper model and still get the same quality in normal daylight as the Hi8?

Yes probably... but I'd stick with £300-£400 if you can....

Also what sort of situation are you talking about when you loose quality with very low light; outside in the dark?

Yes... when it is quite/very dark. With an analogue camcorder, you'll get some picture in almost zero light (though very grainy of course). With a digital camcorder you need a minimum level of light or you get no picture at all... (unless you use a light of some sorts).

10. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Yes But as Mark as stated.. aim high:cool:
    No could be in doors with poor tungsten/fluorescent lighting.
    For instance when people want a "party" filmed and they turn the lights down low for a "Party ambience"..it is very often to the detriment of video

As such the idea is not so much to compare the low light ability of the newer miniDV with Hi8 but to acknowledge that no camcorder will not do better given better light..
    Better low light ability comes with bigger sensors , Faster lenses and better electronics which may be scarce at the lower end of the price range