Replacement Amp for Sony STR DN1040 and is my setup out of date?

Spartacus

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Could anyone give me a bit of advice re my setup please?

It's currently

Canton CD100 x4,
Canton CD50 x1
Canton 25 SC
Sony STR DN1040

I have had the speakers for a long time. I appreciate they may emphasise "style" (i.e. are acceptable to those who might otherwise have blocked a 5.1 system!), but to my ears they sound ok.

I do wonder though whether things have improved in the years since I bought them. That said they are "acceptable" to the other half, so it's a conundrum.

My history with receivers is a Denon 2105 (which failed after several years) and the Sony. I have to say that to my ears the sound on the Sony was much better than the Denon. I do wonder if that is inherent to the Sony/Denon brands or if it was just that the Sony was newer. I will of course listen to both in a shop before I buy, but am interested in others opinions.

The options as I see them for me are

Sony STR DN1080 (like for like replacement, though I will miss the HDMI on the front)(
Denon 2400 or 3400

My real question is trying to balance with the speakers. I appreciate they are old and obscure, but does anyone know if they "match" the amps. i.e. are they not good enough for them?

The real reason for the upgrade is that my current Amp doesn't pass through 4k .

TV is a Panasonic OLED 952 if that is relevant for handshake problems.

Any opinions would be welcome.

If you are happy with how things sound, there isn't really any such thing as 'out of date' in hifi. Retro is all the rage!

So, those speakers should work okay with any modern or retro amplifier / AVR.

Your pressing issue is the 4K passthrough which you haven't got on your current AVR. The workaround for that is to connect the 4K video source directly to the 4K TV, so don't pass it through the AVR.

What are your 4k sources?

If you are happy with how things sound, there isn't really any such thing as 'out of date' in hifi. Retro is all the rage!

So, those speakers should work okay with any modern or retro amplifier / AVR.

Your pressing issue is the 4K passthrough which you haven't got on your current AVR. The workaround for that is to connect the 4K video source directly to the 4K TV, so don't pass it through the AVR.

What are your 4k sources?

At the moment it is purely Amazon TV, I have SKY Q which I might upgrade to 4k at some point.

At the moment though it's Amazon TV.

I could plug in direct to the TV, but would the sound automatically come through the speakers using the ARC connection?

At the moment it is purely Amazon TV, I have SKY Q which I might upgrade to 4k at some point.

At the moment though it's Amazon TV.

I could plug in direct to the TV, but would the sound automatically come through the speakers using the ARC connection?
Yes, it should do. Or else you could run an optical digital audio cable from the TV to an input on the AVR, and get audio that way.

You will be limited to SD audio, which includes multi channel Dolby Digital and DTS. It excludes Dolby Digital Plus, DTS HD MA, Dolby True HD and muti channel PCM, they are considered to be HD audio and only work via an HDMI cable.

Are you considering getting a UHD disc player? If so, many of those have dual HDMI outputs, one for 4K video to a 4K TV, and one for HD Audio to a non HDCP 2.2 AVR. If you pick one of those up that also has some apps, you might be able to use that for the content that you are currently using your Amazon TV for, that carries HD audio.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom