Replaced a fan in my VPL-HW40ES - now it won't turn on for more than 20 seconds

As Lantern

See title.

The bearing in the blower fan in my Sony VPL-HW40ES got completely shot, the fan in question was the fan blowing onto the lamp assembly - it's a nidec D07F-12B1S1 24B 12V 0.32A which I can't get a replacement for anywhere:

20210328_151248.jpg

I've emailed every Sony licensed repair shop in the UK and no one has a like for like replacement...So I picked up one of these from RS components:

The exhaust is slightly smaller than the original, so i packed it out with a bit of foam and it's rated slightly lower amps, but I wired it in and it blows in the right direction and the PWM seems to control the speed.

The issue I have is that the projector turns off after about 20/30 seconds, sometimes it'll display a picture but most times not. I've reset it by holding down the power button for 5+ seconds but no joy.

Is the fan maybe not cooling the lamp enough and it's a safety feature? possibly a different signal from this fan?

Unfortunately in trying to repair the original fan by opening it to lubricate the bearing I fudgeed it completely, so I can't put the old one back in to see if the projector works with that one in.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

AndyC_772

Could be that the 3rd wire signal is different, and the projector thinks the fan isn't rotating and shuts down to protect itself from overheating.

That particular make and model of fan has loads of hits in Google - can you not pick one up off Ebay or Amazon? Both have that type listed.

As Lantern

Could be that the 3rd wire signal is different, and the projector thinks the fan isn't rotating and shuts down to protect itself from overheating.

That particular make and model of fan has loads of hits in Google - can you not pick one up off Ebay or Amazon? Both have that type listed.
Thanks for the reply. That would be my guess too. I did do a fair chunk of searching but i can't seem to find one in the UK for sale for a reasonable price..

I've got one on the way from AliExpress but it won't be here until May. It's not quite the right serial number but i think it's close enough (different revision).

As Lantern

Just a quick reply to this in case anyone else is googling with the same problem.

Eventually i got a replacement fan that was near like for like from AliExpress, even with that fan, just swapping the connector and plugging it in resulted in the projector powering down after a few seconds...

The eventual fix, after fiddling around trying different combinations of wiring the connector, was to actually connect the 12v line and the signal/pwm cable together, that way the projector seems to both recognize the fan and spin it. The original fan didn't have these cables connected but it was the only way i could get it to work.

DB9S

Just a quick reply to this in case anyone else is googling with the same problem.

Eventually i got a replacement fan that was near like for like from AliExpress, even with that fan, just swapping the connector and plugging it in resulted in the projector powering down after a few seconds...

The eventual fix, after fiddling around trying different combinations of wiring the connector, was to actually connect the 12v line and the signal/pwm cable together, that way the projector seems to both recognize the fan and spin it. The original fan didn't have these cables connected but it was the only way i could get it to work.
Good job there! Even though it may not be 100% wired as it was originally, I doubt anything will be harmed by a cooling fan constantly running.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom