• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Replace Xbox & XMBC with which PVR HD Media Server?

Dan1618

Standard Member
I currently use my Xbox with XBMC (Xbox Media Centre) as my Media server linked to my TV. The Xbox is connected to the LAN and my home server which is used as a storage server for most of my media. With appropriate software updates I have never had any problems in playing all types of media and internet streams on my TV through XBMC.

I use XBMC for internet tv streams, internet radio, streaming media from the server, playing media stored on the Xbox and playing dvds.

The problem I have is that the xbox does not have a HDMI output and I have just purchased a Samsung LE40M87BD 40" LCD TV.

I have been looking at media servers such as
TViX HD M-5100SH & M-4100SH, Digital Entertainer HD (EVA8000), HELIOS X5000 Network Media Player however none seem to fit what I'm looking for.

The TVix M-4100SH would be perfect but I want to be able to record from my SKY + HD box. Can the TVix M-4100SH or any other player on the market record HD content from a SKY HD box?

The HDMI output on the SKY HD Box supplies the best picture so any PVR device would have to have an HDMI input? or is there another way of doing this and retaining the highest picture quality?

any advice would be much appreciated,

Dan

Dan1618

Standard Member
Thanks for the advice, the Gefen TV Hi Definition Personal Video Recorder does look good but I have some problems with it. 1. You don't seem to be able to connect it to a LAN, so HD file streaming, internet TV & radio from my server seems a no. If I give up trying to record SKY in HD and therefore do not need a HDMI input but still need a standard input to record sky is there any player that fits my specifications? Thanks, Dan

vartaxe

Standard Member
the only use i give the xbmc is HR HDTV XVID'S playback LOL now i'm searching a cheap dvd/xvid player capable o reading those hr hdtv xvid's with hdmi output do you guys know anyone?

btw is there any home player that can read those new vids in x264 format?

E

ex sky man

I 'NEVER' stop using my xbox, using XBMC running at 1080i and i find it faultless for upscaling DVD's, Xvid's etc.

Theres nothing out there that can beat it.......so far

zabotage

Standard Member
no, the xbox360 can though

Phantasm4489

Standard Member
the xbox should quite happily output a 1080i signal via component using the HD av pack cable.

It wont play any HD material but it will upscale to 720p or 1080i very nicely

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom