Replace Sony S725 - Tosh 900? Pioneer 656??

Gwynne

Standard Member
Reaction score
Problem
C:13 error on 725 finally refractory to laser refocussing; no longer playing dual layer discs.

Solution
Spend money... but what on? I'm not keen to spend >£500 but can do so if required. It needs to be multiregion and to play SVCDs & CDRs. MP3 is unimportant; quality should be as the Sony at minimum. It will be used to play an extensive classical CD collection too.

The Pioneer 656a looks interesting, being compatible with everything round and shiny short of a flan tray (and appears good value). I've been reading past posts, however, and note the seemingly excellent value of the Tosh 900e @ £700.

:confused: I'm really out of touch with the DVD market at the moment, and so any thoughts on these, and indeed other ways of spending my hard-earned money, are truly welcomed.

Gwynne

Originally posted by Geoffc10
it might be worth realigning the laser.

That's what I meat by refocussing - it's kept it going for a couple of months, but no longer works for dual layer. One advantage of the Tosh being an older player is that problems like this would have surfaced by now - the Sony was a brand new model when I bought it, long before the C:13 debacle surfaced.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom